The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

mdonahue (20) [Avatar] Offline
Cap Foundation in the heading, it's a proper name.

Point of interest: Foundation, version 3 and below, is not a mobile first framework. Are you concerned this might confuse the reader since you appear to be of the mobile first mindset? Also Foundation uses non-semantic classes that describe presentational qualities rather than ones that describe the content itself. These may be things to address since the conflict a bit with concepts you put forth in Chapter 2.

I like that you explain all the elements they put into Foundation, Modernizr, HTML5Shiv, etc., for the user to understand why they are there. My favorite technical books do this a lot.
lilkwarrior (11) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 3
Foundation 4 is upcoming; Zurb has begun providing detailed information about the updated framework on their blog and the Forrst website they now own.

Will the book change/leverage any new features of Foundation 4 to better meet the objectives of the chapter?
matthew.carver (23) [Avatar] Offline
Because Foundation 4 is a mobile first framework, I'm definitely planning on discussing it.
matthew.carver (23) [Avatar] Offline
> Point of interest: Foundation, version 3 and below,
> is not a mobile first framework. Are you concerned
> this might confuse the reader since you appear to be
> of the mobile first mindset? Also Foundation uses
> non-semantic classes that describe presentational
> qualities rather than ones that describe the content
> itself. These may be things to address since the
> conflict a bit with concepts you put forth in Chapter
> 2.

Foundation 4 is a mobile first framework, which I think would be worthwhile to address. My goal is more leveraging the framework as a tool to generate a quick prototype, not necessarily to produce production ready code so the classes should be irrelevant.