The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Art Scott (9) [Avatar] Offline
Please consider adding at least a sidebar re: F# GUI issues
Please forgive me, I'm going to refer to several other sources ---

Expert F# 3.0 page 469 touches on using Nuget's Fsharpx.TypeProviders.dll
to build the XAML F# bridge. I'd like to see that expanded to say at least a page, with a complete example, as VS'12 sample solution. -----

Jon Harrop's F# Journal recently published an article Using F# and WPF to Creat the World ... And other 3D Graphics" by D. K. Ryan. (Do not know who has the copyright?) Don Ryan uses the technique, described in Expert F# 3.0, page 468, of C# XAML bridge F# ... not the technique on pg 469 i.e. straight F# XAML. I much prefer pg 469's straigth technique. -----

Currently I'm applying the "straight" F# XAML pg 469 technique to D.K. Ryan's F#J article. I'm making some progress, but I'd LOVE to see MEAP experts do a full on treatment!! ----

Also, to motivate further --- scanning WWW I think I saw some note/blog about how using XAML GUI dev's can build for both Win8 and WP8 ??!! That seems a ++. ----

Also --- Harrop, on a StackOverflow question I think, muses about the pros and cons of using static GUI built with tools (Blend?) and Dynamic GUIs (like BI) built with F#. The world is moving fast; I'm not sure the trend or direction ... some hybrid of static and dynamic tools techniques for the job at hand ...? How to know and choose. ----

Also --- why I like/think F# GRFX/ani is F#UN and important ---
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet">

Awesome video that will change the way you think about life (or at least cell biology) wehi.edu.au/education/wehi…

— Don Syme (@dsyme) February 1, 2013</blockquote>

Thanks for GR8 work. PLH OOE Art