The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Art Scott (9) [Avatar] Offline
http://ventspace.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/directxxna-phase-out-continues/

Hi Johann et al. Please read this link/blog. I saw it today, 2/1/13. Hope you can use it to inform and better inform readers of:
PART 4: CREATING END-USER APPLICATIONS
11: Creating games using XNA - AVAILABLE

"This email was sent out to DirectX/XNA MVPs today:

The XNA/DirectX expertise was created to recognize community leaders who focused on XNA Game Studio and/or DirectX development. Presently the XNA Game Studio is not in active development and DirectX is no longer evolving as a technology. Given the status within each technology, further value and engagement cannot be offered to the MVP community. As a result, effective April 1, 2014 XNA/DirectX will be fully retired from the MVP Award Program.

There’s actually a fair bit of information packed in there, and I think some of it is poorly worded. The most stunning part of it was this: “DirectX is no longer evolving as a technology.” That is a phrase I did not expect to hear from Microsoft. Before going to “the sky is falling” proclamations, I don’t think this is a death sentence for DirectX, per se. It conveys two things. Number one, DirectX outside of Direct3D is completely dead. I hope this is not a shock to you. Number two, it’s a reminder that Direct3D has been absorbed into Windows core, and thus is no more a “technology” than GDI or Winsock. ..."
johannd (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: XNA --- directx xna-phase-out-continues ... Long live DX3D?
I think I'll change the title of the chapter. I really don't want to tie the chapter to any particular API. They come and go, but the difficulties remain.