EAnneWard (1) [Avatar] Offline
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed reading Chapter 6, and really appreciated the fact that multiple examples of its use are included, clearly demonstrating that a) RDFa can be expressed using different ontologies (or schemas), and b) that the selection of any given ontology (schema) is driven by the need (and not a "one-size-fits-all approach).

I do have a question however. In the example, RDFa is used to mark up existing elements of a given HTML page. Is there also an ability to use a "separate RDFa" section as opposed to being embedded? I have seen examples from OCLC using microdata where the microdata is in fact appended to the HTML (as opposed to being embedded within HTML tags). Is this something that is also possible with RDFa?
Marsha (8) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 6 - using RDFa in html
Dear EAnneWard,

Thank you for letting us know that you enjoyed chapter 6 and found the content helpful.

Yes, you can separate the RDFa in its own section. I chose the embedded approach because I wanted to show that you can use RDFa without increasing the information that you need to maintain.
david.wood (45) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 6 - using RDFa in html
Hi Anne,

Sure! You can simply use the HTML <link> tag to refer to RDF content that is parallel to your HTML page.

The <link> tag is often used to point software to alternate formulations for a Web page or a site. For example, an Atom feed might be linked to like this:
[[
<link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml" title="3 Round Stones Atom Feed" href="http://3roundstones.com/feed/atom/" />
]]

That says something like, "If you want an Atom feed instead of a human-readable HTML page, look over here instead". You can do the same thing with RDF, e.g.:
[[
<link rel="alternate" type="text/turtle" title="3 Round Stones site information in RDF Turtle format" href="http://3roundstones.com/site.ttl/" />
]]

That says, "If you want some RDF instead of this HTML page, look over here instead". You can publish the RDF in any format you like by changing the "type" attribute to match the format of the file you publish.

Regards,
Dave