grayscale (4) [Avatar] Offline
Lab Task 6 - Mentions that the site would be reachable over 80 and 443.

The default bindings on an IIS installation only configures a binding for port 80. Attempting to connect to 443 will just time out since the web server is not listening on that port. I didn't read any tasks in earlier chapters that would create an HTTP binding to 443 (doing a full blown HTTPS bind would require going over certificate signing. (Guessing this is covered in chapter 7?)

Also, I was hoping to see a side by side of do this in the IIS Manager GUI and do that in PowerShell. Will the IIS PowerShell cheat sheet that is going to be an appendix fill in the PowerShell gaps not outlined in each chapter?

Looking forward to chewing through Chapter 4 tomorrow!
jason.helmick (63) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 3 v7
Grayscale! Thanks for the input.

I'll check the lab, I think I madea mistake...thanks for catching it. I'm going to revise the labs again, so I will fix it.

I'm challenged by adding too much PowerShell in that this is not nessisarily a pwoershell book, but I will add this particular thing, also you will notice much more pwoershell in the later chapters as I get into Automation. That's where I saved most of it.

So keep telling me when you want PS examples and I'll to get them in the book!

Thank you so much for the feedback!

JAson
grayscale (4) [Avatar] Offline
So what sent me down the road of doing PowerShell cmdlets and the GUI side by side was the mention of setting up an IIS server on Server Core without Server Manager/IIS Manager. So, I rolled two virtual machines in a lab, one GUI and one Core and I've been trying to stand them up with some level of parity.

Now, it wasn't until I read the rest of the TOC for the book that I saw there's a Server Core/IIS section along with the Server Core cheat sheet. If the later chapter and cheat sheet will fill in the Server Core gaps, I'd be good with letting the GUI drive home IIS workflow and then circling back to the command line/Core way of doing things after getting a solid foundation about IIS from the earlier chapters and the GUI.

Also, and I don't know if people would disagree, but I don't think there's such a thing as adding too much PowerShell. smilie That said, mentioning cmdlets as a footnote or some kind of aside might be ok instead of breaking out from the regular flow (i.e. this is how you do it in the GUI. Oh, by the way, for more information on how to do it in Powershell look up the help file(s) for the Get-WebConfig (command)).

Anyway, enough rambling. I'm enjoying it so far. When something sticks out as I work through the book, I'll be sure to mention it here in the forum.

Keep up the good work!
jason.helmick (63) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you sir!

I agree with you that there can't be too much PowerShell! So, when you run across something you think is missing, just let me know and I'll add it in.

I'm glad your trying the core. As you move into the middle chapters you will see that end start to pick up. There are some strange and trick things with core because the cmdlets weren't exactly designed for it. It will be fun!

Again, I appreciate any feedback you have!

Jason