MacFlecknoe (14) [Avatar] Offline
---
this comment was largely related to the changes made in Activiti 5.11 that broke many of the directions/examples in the book. I am attempting to downgrade Activiti to resolve my problems...

Message was edited by:
MacFlecknoe
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Example code issues
Hi,

Why is that, because I upgrade the book's source code to Activiti 5.11 recently and that works very well without any changes. What's the issues you ran into?

Best regards,

Tijs
MacFlecknoe (14) [Avatar] Offline
I am not on my work machine but some of the issues I encountered were related to the ant targets not existing in 5.11 (specifically the stand alone database). Running the BookOrderTest for example results in a JdbcSQLException being thrown unless you modify it to use InMemProcessEngineConfiguration.

I also had problems running the Activiti Modeler which seems to reference a workspace directory I can only presume existed in previous incarnations of Activiti but now is no longer present.

Certain classes in the example code seems not to compile against the 5.11 libraries. In the bpmn-examples code neither org.bpmnwithactiviti.chapter10.ldap.LDAPGroupManager nor org.bpmnwithactiviti.chapter10.ldap.LDAPUserManager work under 5.11 but compile fine under 5.9.

I have no option using the latest Designer plugin to "Create deployment artifacts" within Eclipse; at this point in the book I have no idea how to deploy my processes into a container. I see no maven target that would allow me to create the artifacts either (which seems counterintuitive).

Lastly, attempting to convert a user task to a script task in the Designer tool results in a nullpointer being thrown. Though this is surely a bug in Activiti itself, I do wonder how does this kind of thing get into the release ... I would presume the Activiti team has unit tests to protect against this kind of regression. It makes me question how suitable Activiti would be for use in an enterprise (where such GUI tools would see frequent use and even a small regression such as this could cost a lot of money and raise eyebrows).

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Message was edited by:
MacFlecknoe
dh6864 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Tijs,

I also don't see the option "Create deployment artifacts" under Eclipse project context menu using 5.11 Eclipse Designer plugin.
For importing "Book order process.bpmn20.xml" and renaming it to "Book order process.bpmn", I have no problem. But Activiti Diagram Editor opens the model file and display a blank page. I examed the file using xml editor, I see the content in xml format but no diagram is displayed and no error shown in Eclipse .metadata/.log.
I also have LDAP compilation error in chapter 10 but I edited the subclasses and changed the signature of the methods to implement the parent classes.

If you have updated version of the Eclipse Designer to give us the option creating Bar, that would be great. Or you could share the basic structure of BAR file, we can try to zip it up the same structure for now to work around the missing feature in 5.11.

Thanks,
Dean
Hi Dean and MacFlecknoe,

Yes in Activiti 5.11 we got rid of the Ant scripts, but it's still really easy to start and stop a H2 database. I'll see if I can create a blogpost to explain the differences. Did you update the book's source code to the latest version in SVN? Because the problems you're having with the LDAP examples should be already fixed there. Let me know if you are running the latest source code and still are experiencing issues there.

The Activiti Modeler is changed quite a bit, but it's a lot easier than before. So you can export a BPMN 2.0 XML file directly in the Activiti Explorer instead of browsing to a specific folder.

The 'Create Deployment Artifacts' is only available when you are in the package explorer and right-click on an Activiti project. So it's really there.

Do you get a nullpointer exception in the latest release of the Designer (5.11.2) ? Because I just tested it to be sure, but I don't get an exception. And like it works with open source projects, when you run into this kind of problems please raise a JIRA issue in the Activiti project.

Best regards,

Tijs
dh6864 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Tjis,

Thanks for the helps.
I am able to create the bar file and import it into Explorer and see it in action. smilie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I downloaded code from the following two places
http://code.google.com/p/activitiinaction/downloads/list
http://www.manning-source.com/books/rademakers2/ActivitiInAction_sourcecode.zip

They are identical so I thought I was having the latest code.
But they are not.
Since you mentioned svn, I found the following link and got the latest code.
http://activitiinaction.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

These locations just serve as notes for other folks that may come across the issue finding latest sample source code.

Thanks Tijs for the helps and giving us a wonderful book.

Dean
Hi Dean,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes the best and latest source for the book's source code is SVN. I forgot to mention about the Book order process.bpmn20.xml issue. This is due to the fact the the modeler file has isExecutable="false" on the process element. I will change this in the SVN version to true and then it's loaded as expected in the Designer. Also in a next release of the Designer I'll fix this issue and isExecutable="false" processes will be loaded as well.

Thanks,

Tijs