thinkmanthink (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
The book gives a pretty good perspective of Responsive Web, looking forward to the completion. Sending you some spell errors for correcttion.
1. Page 15 Line 3 - At what point to you respond? 'to' be changed to 'do'
2. Page 16 Section 1.2.1 (second para) Some of the information a device relies to a server includes browser, the resolution of the device being used, and the size of the widow viewing the page ('relies' to be changed to relays)
3.Page 16 Section 1.2.1 (last but one para) It’s important to note the differences between the two because in some cases you might wish to serve the smaller size rules to a browser widow that’s been slimmed down by the user as to avoid a horizontal scroll bar, or because of certain site functionality. ('widow' to be changed to window, probably needs to be checked at other places too, saw the error at one more place).

Also it is possible what tools are available for developing "Responsive Web" commercial and open source?

Regards,
matthew.carver (23) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Errata in MEAP
Thanks for the spelling corrections. I really appreciate it and I'll make sure to correct the manuscript.

As for tools, there are a lot of great tools you can use to ease responsive web development. For front end frameworks, look into Foundation by Zurb or Twitter Bootstrap.
pppeater (2) [Avatar] Offline
We are exploring using Bootstrap. One of the nice things is that they allow selecting which components get included and then create a customized version of the CSS and JS. Foundation has this as well.
manning-user (3) [Avatar] Offline
"If the entire point of the responsive web is to build site’s that are fluid, this simply won’t due."

The final word should be "do"
They are both really similar. I prefer Foundation for prototyping and Bootstrap for stuff like admin panels and web apps, personally.
"With this simple rule, our container div has take a new shape."

take should be taken
Page 49, first paragraph:

"Because it shares syntax with the native CSS @import, there are a few distinctions that must be ruled our in order for the SCSS to compile."

our should be out
hettlage (100) [Avatar] Offline
Page 2, first paragraph:

"Ethan’s book struck a resonating cord" should be "Ethan’s book struck a resonating chord".
Page 8, last paragraph:

The sentence "The in this bike lane there might be considerations for a reduced speed limit ..." seems to be incomplete.
Page 14, second paragraph of the designer's insight box:

In "to find a the perfect balance" either the "a" or the "the" is superfluous.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll be addressing the typos in the next update.

You guys are awesome and keep the feedback coming!
Here is another small typo... On page 35, 4th paragraph

"EM should only every be applied..."

probably should be

"EM should only ever be applied...".
ptaffet@sohosoft.us (2) [Avatar] Offline
In figures 1.3 & 1.4 the boxes (3 of them) labeled "developemnt" should read "development".
rharing (7) [Avatar] Offline
page 27 the example #container {...}

shouldnt that be .container since the div for the container does not have an id but a class?

Regards
Ronald
AZDeveloper (12) [Avatar] Offline
2.3.1 Using containers

"With our container in place we can start putting some more piece into place."

should be

"With our container in place we can start putting some more pieces into place."
or
"With our container in place we can start putting more pieces into place."

"If a site is build with an ebb and flow for content, using less rigid CSS, my text size preferences shouldn’t affect the layout."

should be

"If a site is built with an ebb and flow for content, using less rigid CSS, my text size preferences shouldn’t affect the layout."
Page 38, second to last paragraph, 3rd sentence:

"You can even host your prototype on a server to test the across devices and under
a myriad of conditions."

should be

"You can even host your prototype on a server to test across devices and under
a myriad of conditions."

or

"You can even host your prototype on a server to test it across devices and under
a myriad of conditions."
Page 46, comments after HTML block

"#B There are a series of visibility classes for various viewport sizes. You can hide or show content for small, medium, large, or extra-large screen sizes."

should be

"#B These are a series of visibility classes for various viewport sizes. You can hide or show content for small, medium, large, or extra-large screen sizes."
Page 57 first paragraph, 4th sentence

"As an audience we now know that everyone with white potentially has the mutation."

should be

"As an audience we now know that everyone with white hair potentially has the mutation.
Page 58, 2nd paragraph from the bottom, 4th sentence

"On the right is an information icon."

should be

"On the left is an information icon.

Message was edited by:
AZDeveloper
Possibly conflicting design instructions / guidelines:

On page 21 you say:

"The page will flow by default from top to bottom, and
then left to right (or right to left depending on your use of CSS floats)."

but then on page 23 you say:

"We want to model our DOM on a left
to right, top to bottom structure."

and again on page 62

"It’s best to think of the responsive grid goes from left to right, then top to bottom."

I suggest you at least address these conflicting statements so we understand why it is ok (if it indeed is ok) for the CSS Box model to be one way but to have DOM and responsive grid be thought of in another way.
Page 63

"Figure 4.8 The vertically stacked elements are able to sort into two columns in a mid-sized screenv."

should be

"Figure 4.8 The vertically stacked elements are able to sort into two columns in a mid-sized screen."
Page 63

"As a designer, you should always anticipate the grid flowing from top to bottom and right to left."

Umm...
Page 64, 2nd paragraph 1st sentence

"Now that we have our grid and navigation, let’s give the site it’s content."

should be

"Now that we have our grid and navigation, let’s give the site its content."
Page 67, 2nd paragraph from the bottom, 2nd sentence

"This is the main reason why a design with little or no experience in CSS is at a huge disadvantage."

should be

"This is the main reason why a designer with little or no experience in CSS is at a huge disadvantage."
Page 63, last paragraph, 2nd sentence

"Remember, the goal of responsive design is to not create cops for every single view
and every single page."

should be

"Remember, the goal of responsive design is to not create comps for every single view
and every single page."

unless you really do want people to create cops, which would be a neat trick smilie
Thanks for all the feedback, AZDeveloper. Awesome catches! I'll make sure to review this when I edit chapter 4.
AdieS (4) [Avatar] Offline
On page 25 the listing gives the section a class of "main" but on page 23 it was defined with a class of "content". (Bot section closing comments differ as well.)

The content of the section is structured differently as well in the way that the article encloses the header on 25 but not on 23.

Message was edited by:
AdieS
I changed some of that stuff on the fly. I'll make sure to fix this stuff soon.
mdonahue (20) [Avatar] Offline
Chapter 6, first Designer Insight - It's Steve Krug, not King.