The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

necrodome (2) [Avatar] Offline
I was reading the presentation @ http://benvinegar.github.com/seamless-talk/#/
So, with the new findings demonstrated at the presentation, how relevant is that book currently?
benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
Re: iframe vs embedded javascript
So, you're talking about the "seamless" iframe attribute. Which as the slides indicate, isn't actually supported by any stable browser.

But even if it were, it really has little to no impact on the content of the book. While seamless may make some iframed widgets a little more flexible (in the future), those widgets will still be incredibly inflexible relative to applications that have third-party JavaScript executing on the parent document.

If anything, you would probably be using the seamless attribute, along with the techniques from the book, in tandem.

- Ben

Message was edited by:
benvinegar
necrodome (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the answer, Ben.

I was more asking for the case of serving the content in an iframe vs generating the actual content and the related DOM with javascript (as in the rewrite of Disqus 2012)
benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
Ah, right. Well, if you were to go that route, I'd say that a good chunk of the content from Chapter 3 (Rendering) would become less relevant. But that's a small part of the book as a whole.