borecki (3) [Avatar] Offline
Just started to read the book and it seems that the modeler is no more maintained. So for many users it make no sense to use the modeler and maybe the whole activiti at all. It seems, that the first impression the activiti project made is gone and the "open source project" is turned to the $cash$ project. The other bad think is, that the name of activiti cycle changed to comunda fox cycle smilie

I ask me, whether the project has a future.
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Problems with modeler
A few comments on this. Tomorrow we'll launch a new Activiti Modeler that will be developed and maintained as part of the Activiti project. So I think that's good news.

What do you mean with $cash$ project? Activiti is an Apache licensed open source project with a lot of contributors, so I don't understand this observation.

Yes Activiti Cycle is changed to camunda fox cycle. But why is that a bad thing?

Activiti definitely has a future and a bright one even. We have a lot of new stuff coming in the near future including the new Activiti Modeler. I hope you'll agree with me when you see the new things being released.

Best regards,

Tijs
It's nice to hear with the new modeler. with $cash$ Project i mean the contributor/partner companies like Signavio which first start to contribute modeler and then stop the maintainance and you see on the page:
"The Signavio Core Components were deprecated in 2011 and are no longer maintained. If you are interested in embedding the Signavio Process Editor into a commercial product, please contact Signavio to discuss an OEM integration"

First you go with the project, becouse it is open source and then you are bounded to signavio to pay for the OEM integration. So I welcome a new modeler as part of the Activiti project.

With the 1) Activiti Cycle -> 2) Camunda Fox
1) Promotion for Activiti, The company identify with the project.
2) Promotion for Camunda, The company not identify with the project so much. In the future the open source maintainance will be maybe stopped like by Signavio.

This is only my feeling.

Message was edited by:
borecki
Best regards

Rob

Message was edited by:
borecki
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Okay, thanks for sharing your opinion. The Activiti Modeler at least fills in the gap that was left by the Signavio Core Components project.
So I think the Activiti project offers a rich set of open source components and we have a great community and a large number of committers to the project. So I think that we're not dependent on one company supporting the project.

Best regards,

Tijs