The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

paul.dufort@uhn.ca (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Matthew,

I have been reading my way through OpenCL in Action and the OpenCL Programming Guide and thoroughly enjoying them both. Thank you for writing this book!

I have a question about a couple of your ten tips for high-performance kernels, specifically loop unrolling and re-use of private variables. Most compilers of any significant maturity look for optimizations like this and implement them automatically. I was surprised to read that OpenCL compilers don't. I'd expect that they will reach that level of maturity at some point. The book has been out for a while now, and I'm curious - are you still finding that you have to make optimizations like this by hand?

Thanks,
Paul