jfs.world (107) [Avatar] Offline
joshblair has done his part to highlight several - and there are several more that u can see, even in just the free chapter ("What is NoSQL?"). I wont point all of them out - but I wish to highlight that despite this being a MEAP, and a "work-in-progress", it would really be nice to get some editors onto the MEAPs... and weed out some of these errors.

Or is Manning actually ok with foisting these errors onto your early supporters (MEAP buyers!)? I dont believe so. So let's see some action!

Grammatical errors can be tolerated, but what of statements that dont make sense? For eg. in 1.3.8, there is this sentence: "New systems, designed around a central fact able with a star-shaped set of dimensions, extended beyond the table, column, and row design." Huh? "central fact able"? Do u mean "central table"? And then what are "cubes, dimensions, measures and categories" (next sentence)?
Re: Typos, grammatical errors, and blah blah?
I wont detail all of the errors. Some of them should be obvious; but where not, I have elaborated:

Chapter 1:

1.4.2 - "... when programmers at MIT implemented the these functions ..."

- "As a functional programming, language, XQuery ..."

- "We will review more about the relationship between NoSQL and functional programming in Chapter 12. ."

Double period (with space in between?).

Can be better written as "We will review in more detail the relationship between NoSQL and functional programming in Chapter 12." OR "We will review the relationship between NoSQL and functional programming in more detail in Chapter 12."

1.4.5 - "Amazon found however, that because key-value stores had a simple interface it was easier to replicate the data and more reliable."

A few well-placed commas would definitely make this flow much more easily: "Amazon found however, that because key-value stores had a simple interface, it was easier to replicate the data, and more reliable.

1.4.6 - "Although there we many different databases being used ..."

1.4.7 - "Not only did we sense a feeling of liberation from RDBMS systems, and excitement around new technologies and methods but shock in the difficulties they faced in explaining the business benefits of NoSQL to their own colleagues."

Please rewrite to flow better. Maybe something like

"Not only did we sense a feeling of liberation from RDBMS systems, and excitement around new technologies and methods, we also experienced shock over the difficulties we faced in explaining the business benefits of NoSQL to our own colleagues."

- "We now know that once tried and true, traditional systems using SQL databases that require shreding and joins to manipulate the data may no longer meet the business needs of todays market."

"tried and true" should be hyphenized (see http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/tried-and-true). Without grammatical errors:

"We now know that once tried-and-true, traditional systems using SQL databases that require shredding and joins to manipulate the data may no longer meet the business needs of today's market."

- "As we've seen these changes impacted more than early technology adopters, engineers around the world realize there are options to the RDBMS-as-our-only-option mantra." Needs a rewrite.

- "As organizations continue emerge and move into global economies this trend will continue to expand." Needs a rewrite.

Message was edited by:
jfs.world
NOTE for the authors/editors: I will be *occasionally* editting my posts in place, so... do check back occasionally! It does not mean that i havent added anything new to this list of errors and corrections, just because i havent added any new posts to this thread....
macintux (1) [Avatar] Offline
I'll piggyback on the thread for a few nitpicks:

* "Brewar" (should be "Brewer") pops up twice when referring to the CAP theorem
* "...NoSQL systems that use BASE take in to consideration" (should be "into")
adavidow (4) [Avatar] Offline
Some quick typos and comments. I'm using v7,a nd looking at this using the iBook reading, so page numbering may be funky

p. 163, "organizations" s/b "organization's" (possessive)

p. 173 "difficult to _sale_ -- sale s/b "scale"?

p. 205 "In general, replication does not increase write operations and sometimes slows them down." Not sure what this sentence is trying to say. s/b "In general, replication does not increase write times and sometimes slows them down" or "In general, replication does not increase the time required for write operations and sometimes slows them down"?

p. 359 "The addition of a timestamp in the key also allows each cell int he table to _sore_ multiple..." sore s/b store?

p. 573 "... Open Linked Data. In chapter 4...." I believe that the term is general phrased as "Linked Open Data" as in the hashtag, #LOD-LAM (linked open data for libraries, archives, museums)

p. 600 "allow a large blog to be _reference_ by a short" - reference s/b referenced?

p. 613 "a MapReduce server will have all the input on the local disk of a shared nothing cluster" - totally missed the reference to "shared RAM" vs. "shared disk" vs. shared nothing" - may be worth doing something to indicate phrase, "shared nothing" is a reference? Didn't get confused elsewhere in the text, just here. Not sure what was different.

p. 681: "Apache Lucene, Apache Solr" - this leaves me a bit queasy. The text implies that there are unconnected services, when the reality is that there is a stack--Lucene for raw searching, Solr for the next level of services, Blacklight for facets....? I don't think anyone would implement Solr w/Lucene, for example, so a reworking of the text might be appropriate.

p. 689. I find the discussion of full-text keyword search a bit confusing. It would be easy to miss the fact that most full-text keyword search supports booleans. A search for "leather -clothing" will return significantly different results than "leather -sex". The point that the author appears to be making is that there is even more than can be done =if= you have access to metadata. So the final paragraph,

"If you use structured search ... NoSQL document stores can combine the complex logic functions of Boolean ... keywords ...." might better be worded:

If you use structured search, you get the simple Boolean functions of full-text queries amplified by the ability to include metadata queries--documents with these keywords that were saved in the last week, or that were written by Dave Jones...."
daniel.mccreary (21) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks Ari,

We will make sure the updates get into the next version.

- Dan