The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

pixelatedpete (5) [Avatar] Offline
I guess it is probably a bit late to add another chapter to the book now, but it struck me as I waded through PAX, m2e, the maven-bundle-plugin and Eclipse to try to work out how to follow chapters 1-3 (so far) that an extra chapter outlining how to set up a sandbox and work through the examples would be very useful.

The book is part way there - it provides instructions for getting an Apache Aries assembly that provides a good start - but then how do you make the bundles, automate the deployment, etc. I know there is a reference to the Tools chapters and the book seems to suggest it is deliberate not to outline the process/tools too soon but without this I can see readers unfamiliar with OSGi walking away quite quickly. Wrestling with the syntax and structure is not conducive to loving a new technology.

Could just be an extra PDF download.

Anyways, just me thoughts - I'm very much enjoying the book!