The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

phenryll (12) [Avatar] Offline
There are 2 aspects I have mixed feelings about:
- There is an ambiguity between the title and the content of the chapter. I thought the chapter was primarily focused on WinRT. Actually the word "architecture" in the title depicts more than WinRT while I thought it would be WinRT-related only. I may be wrong on that, but it is what I was thinking. Look at the bottom of the page, "We'll first take a look at what WinRT is and how it related to .NET and .NET metadata". A few lines later: "We need to understand what WinRt is and it isn't, so let's start with a look of the overall architecture that supports Metro style apps". Clearly I don't like the approach of describing the overall architecture for 4-5 pages before starting explaining WinRT. Or change the chapter title and rephrase. Or add a new chapter that will focus on the overall architecture and an other one focused on WinRT.

- Based on the first point, while reading the chapter, I didn't understand why the main figure 2.1 wasn't focused on WinRT. In cascade, I suggest you to provide an overhaul picture on WinRT. Ok it is COM + .NET metadata; but it would be great to see it visually illustrated. Whenever the content is about interaction between components, it deserves an illustration: wrapper, language, projections, com, metadata

Other remarks:
- the title "COM + .NET metadata == WinRT" is unusual and odd, which doesn't suit well with the rest of the book.
- p.30 "The Language projection": you define it and then "More on that in the next section". And p. 34 "Built for multiple language" you wrote "More on that in a moment". Those forward references mean there is something illogically defined (and tend to distract my attention).
- p. 41 "2.3. client technologies and languages". To me "projection" is a key word and should be mentioned. Actually Client technologies and languages should be placed at the beginning of the chapter as Javascript is the counterpart of C# and XAML. This would avoid forward references mentioned above.
- p. 41 About Javascript: Why don't you mention WinJS?
- p. 42 in 2.4. last line "Remember, anything that starts with windows.* is winRT, everything else is .NET"." Remember" is irrelevant as that remark matches chapter 3 about Async
- p. 43 System.Linq* : Linq remains in .Net, not in WinRT. I don't understand why you suffix it by "*"
- p. 42 and 43 about the table: You should add a thirst columns whose value would be .NET or WinRT. It would avoid confusion because "*" is discrete and may be unnoticeable.