The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

sbelur (6) [Avatar] Offline
Just curious - no updates at all for a LONG LONG time .
can we get our money back please. or get another book instead of this.

Manning - please update.
fdaoud00 (15) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Is this project dead ?
sbelur: this book sure seems dead. And even if it is not, the glacial pace at which it is advancing is unacceptable. Being in MEAP for several years is ridiculous.

Do yourself a favor: request a refund from Manning, and do NOT purchase MEAPs. Only consider released books. Don't even rely on a MEAP "supposedly" being on the final chapter-even that can take forever (e.g. JavaScript Ninja, Spring in Practice).
Mittie (397) [Avatar] Offline
Hi everybody,

yes, the pace is slow - and it may even look slower from the outside than it actually is.

I can assure you though that the book is not dead and we are actively working on the full coverage of Groovy 2.0 with all the great new capabilities that it brings to Groovy developers.

yours
Dierk

P.S. books are often developed over a much longer timespan than one would assume. The same was true for the first edition. The MEAP only makes this more obvious.
svenson_de (1) [Avatar] Offline
Try to think of it as a possibility to get pieces as early as possible
and not as somebody keeps sthg. back from you.
I know it's worth waiting.
Regards, Sven
fatbear (4) [Avatar] Offline
I've recently signed up as a reviewer. Would it be possible for me to join your review effort? I can forward my reviewer resume to you if you like.

Many thanks,
Steve Amerige, Senior Software Developer
SAS Institute, Fat Bear Incorporated, and Server Science Incorporated
Hi Steve,

thanks a lot for volunteering!

I'll forward your request to the review editor.

cheers
Dierk
davicar (3) [Avatar] Offline
I too am frustrated by the slow pace of updates for this book. GIA was a great book and this one has the same promise...if it ever gets done, which I am seriously beginning to question.

This is the last MEAP that I will do. From now on I'll save my $$ and wait for books to go into print. Lesson learned.
fdaoud00 (15) [Avatar] Offline
With all due respect, while I understand your point about MEAP "exposing" how long it actually takes to produce a book, I do not think it is fair to the readers. Some see it as "getting" to see content in advance, but it is not right to keep readers waiting years for the final product.

It took me a *long* time from start to finish to write my book, but when it was in the equivalent of MEAP, 50% was made available, I had completed 80%, and the book went final 3 months later.

I believe Manning puts books in MEAP way too early. They should wait until the author(s) are much further along in the process, and when they put a book in MEAP, they should have a committement from the author(s) so that the book will be final 6 months later, MAX.

Until they do that (if ever), I think readers should be forewarned of the possible delays, and be enabled to make a more informed choice of accepting that (I respect those that do enjoy having early access to content), or preferring to wait for final before spending their money (as do I.)

Just my 2c.
jtonic (4) [Avatar] Offline
Grifon In Action was pretty in the same situation as GIA2. The authors were so busy with the final major version. And the MEAP readers understood this, and were happy because as soon as (a couple of days later) Grifon 1.0 was out they had the final version of the book containing the latest additions to Grifon.
I supposed then this would be the same for GIA2 but it seemed I as wrong. Long after the 2.0 version was out (and even after the first maintenance version) we see no updates for the book.

Would we have to wait for version 3.0 of Groovy to get the final version of the book?

My 2c.
Hi Dierk,

I haven't heard from the review editor yet and I am still very interested in helping out with any reviews. I'm also open to any other assistance that you might find helpful. Feel free to ask if any need comes to mind. I'm using Groovy 2.0.1 presently and am also doing substantial interaction with Ant (AntBuilder), implementing various design patterns such as hooks and callbacks, etc. As I think of the "in Action" part of the book, I'm tempted to think of your book having cookbook flavor, at least in part.

Best regards,
Steve Amerige, Senior Software Developer
SAS Institute, Fat Bear Incorporated, and Server Science Incorporated
bavobbr (2) [Avatar] Offline
The slowness of releasing is not only making this book dead, it is also declaring Groovy dead. If I don't have a good (and stable) resource to give to colleagues, I can't advice them to use Groovy.
Corvin (7) [Avatar] Offline
forget Ant and use Gradle, we just introduced it at mine company. It is Groovy
dsl and building tool for future.
jonny_symbols (2) [Avatar] Offline
It's one thing waiting a few weeks or months for an update but this book has not been updated since the beginning of February. I don't have confidence it will ever be finished. Also, if other chapters are somehow completed then either the earlier chapters will have to be revised (more time), or they will be seriously out-of-date.

A question to the authors: are you committed to finishing this book, or have other priorities meant that you have put it on the back burner?

Thanks
Hi Jonny,

as you correctly guess, we all have a lot to do.

However, the book work progresses and we hope that MEAP readers enjoy the first 340 pages that we have delivered so far.

all the best and thanks for your posting
Dierk
alcdotcom (10) [Avatar] Offline
If you follow Dierk and Guillaume on Twitter you'll see that they seem to be continuously moving from one conference to another. Frankly, it's a wonder that they have time to write at all.
to make matters worse, conferences are only a small fraction of my work... smilie

However, there are few people that contribute more to the advancement of Groovy than the authors of Groovy in Action. The work on the book is an important, but not the only part of this work.

cheers
Dierk
noisyoyster (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi there,

Could you provide a revised release date for the next MEAP version and the expected printing date please?

Thanks,
noisyoyster
jonny_symbols (2) [Avatar] Offline
Happy anniversary!
It's been a year since the last MEAP update.

Currently the release date is summer 2013, which seems highly unlikely.

I know the authors are busy but I think that unless something is about to change (e.g. an update) then Manning should remove this book from the MEAP programme.

If you need any help with unblocking writer's block then may I recommend my wife, she's a psychologist smilie
hanafey (18) [Avatar] Offline
If we apply groovy thinking to this question then the answer is clear: If it smells like a dead duck, it is a dead duck.
srjefferys (3) [Avatar] Offline
What happened to "release early, release often"? Momentum is important! Nothing kills interest like early buzz, a partial alpha release, and then no updates for a long time. As an author, a scientist, and a programmer I understand that writing takes a while, and that releasing unfinished or incorrect work is worse than doing nothing. But doing nothing is still bad. At least there are periodic comments from the author. Unfortunately, computer books have a short life-span that starts when they are begun, not when they are published. I am not part of the Groovy "world", so all I see is this forum. Here I see promises but no evidence of progress (I can hope that is not true, but I'm talking about empirical evidence). If every new chapter takes a year, this book will still be a meap beyond 2020, and I doubt it will have any relevance at that point. Please don't let this just fade away. We all want this book. If we didn't, we wouldn't be posting here.
Is there anything I can do or contribute that will help move your MEAP project forward? Is it possible to get any new or revised chapters in a pre-pre-release state? I promise to give substantive feedback.
bodiam (27) [Avatar] Offline
Hi all,

Thank you all for your concern, but we're happy to inform you that the project is not dead, but more in a state of hibernation. But we're out of hibernation now, and providing you with fresh content.

If you want to help, please provide feedback on the newly released chapters, and if you find anything odd, please report them here or create a new topic, and we'll resolve any mistakes as soon as possible.

Thank you all for your support!

Erik Pragt