The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

kieran (2) [Avatar] Offline
I'm getting an error message 'Error: could not find function "parcor"' and 'Error: could not find function "pcor" when I use this command within the ggm package, as prescribed on page 162 of 'R in Action' (Kabacoff, Manning, 2011).

I'm puzzled as the components of the package list includes both pcor and parcor.

I should be appreciative if you can throw any light on the path to a resolution of the difficulty.
robert.kabacoff (170) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Difficulty with partial correlation
It looks like package versions have gotten out of sink as development continues.

I ran the following commands:

source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite(character(), ask=FALSE)

to update all out of date packages, and after much chugging along, ggm and the pcor() function in particular started working again.

Hope this helps.

Rob
kieran (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Difficulty with partial correlation
Thank you: I've tried just as you proposed, Robert

The package you recommend downloaded its contents and I tried again, but still could not get ggm to yield the pcor function.When I input library(ggm), the response was
Loading required package: gRbase
Loading required package: graph
Error: package ‘graph’ could not be loaded
In addition: Warning messages:
1: package ‘ggm’ was built under R version 2.15.1
2: package ‘gRbase’ was built under R version 2.15.1
3: In library(pkg, character.only = TRUE, logical.return = TRUE, lib.loc = lib.loc) :
there is no package called ‘graph’
And then the error message to the pcor command was as before

On the R Progamming Group on LinkedIn,, there's a suggestion that ggm doesn't work on 2.15.1: 'it needs RBGL, which is no longer available'.

Any other way I can get the partial correlation ?