The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Makovec (72) [Avatar] Offline
Again general question - sorry for these small things, I was working for one DTP studio and can't remove some habits from my brain smilie Sometimes you write IIS manager and sometimes IIS Manager (m vs. M). Don't know what is better for you, for me it's capital M.

Chapter 4.1.2 (page 71)
Viewing is easy, but changing the properties of the .NET version or the managed pipeline is a little strange using PowerShell.
=> I would rather say that using PSDrives is easy and consistent smilie

Chapter 4.1.3 (Moving a website using the GUI)
basic Settings
=> Basic Settings

Chapter 4.2.1 (page 77)
When checking just a process I would rather use Get-Process instead of Get-WmiObject. But in this case it's not a big issue in relation to filtering in next example.

Chapter 4.2.2 (page 81)
excisting => existing
RECYCLEING = > RECYCLING

Chapter 4.3
would run in the saem application pool
=> would run in the same application pool

I can say that this chapter told me a lot about thing I need for my work. There are few application pools in ConfigMgr and now I understand better how it works and what it means. Four lessons and I can say the money for book were spent well.
jason.helmick (63) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 4 - File v1
Hey Makovec

Sometimes you write IIS manager and sometimes IIS Manager -- Yup, I'm with you on this, it should be IIS Manager, I need to try and catch all those....keep bringing up things that nag or bother you. I do appreciate it!

Chapter 4.1.2 - I'm debating this. As a powershell guy, you have to admit that using the provider (or worse Get-WebConfiguration and Get-WebConfigurationProperty using XPath) is just not the direction of all the other product lines. In fact I'm almost a little embarrassed by the IIS team at this point not providing proper cmdlets for basic administrative tasks. So, I agree that PSDrives is consistent, I just am debating about the "easy" part. smilie Let me ponder this one a little bit.

Chapter 4.1.3 - fixed

Chapter 4.2.1 - yea, the reason I didn;t use Get-Process was because I wanted to be consistent with the following example to retrieve the name of the application pool. I will put a note in the text.

Chapter 4.2.2 - fixed

Chapter 4.3 - Fixed

"I can say that this chapter told me a lot about thing I need for my work." - Thank you. This is the kindest thing to hear. Do me a favor, if you read a section and you find it "light" or not very useful please don't hesitate to tell me. I want to make sure that the information is relevant. Different people have different experiences and you insight into the areas that are helpful and not-so-helpful will help me adjust the text.

Again, thank you for taking your time to help me.

Jason
Jerame (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Jason,
Do you have any plans for covering changing application pool identities, specifically with using Powershell? That's something I just ran into this week, and would be really useful.

Also I'm interested in the differences between the built in accounts for the identities. Maybe that's something planned for chapter 7.

Thanks,
Jerame
Hey Jerame! Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, Chapter 7 is where I have this, but try this and let me know what you think.

To get the current identity:
Get-ItemProperty -Path IIS:AppPoolsMyTest -Name ProcessModel.IdentityType

To set an identity: -- the value must be an integer---see below.
Set-ItemProperty -Path IIS:AppPoolsMyTest -Name ProcessModel.IdentityType -value 4

Int32 =
ApplicationPoolIdentity = 4
LocalService = 1
LocalSystem = 0
NetworkService = 2

SpecificUser = 3

To set a specific user.
Set-ItemProperty -Path IIS:AppPoolsMyTest -Name processmodel.identityType -Value 3
Set-ItemProperty -Path IIS:AppPoolsMyTest -Name processmodel.username -Value Administrator
Set-ItemProperty -Path IIS:AppPoolsMyTest -Name processmodel.password -Value P@ssw0rd

Let me know what you think!!!

Jason
Jerame (2) [Avatar] Offline
Wow, that's exactly what I needed.

Thank you!!
Glad to help! The full writeup will be in Chapter 7. I know its going through edit this week, I think soon it will be released in the MEAP.

I just happen to have it handy!

Enjoy!

Jason