The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

phenryll (12) [Avatar] Offline
General remark: I don't see the interest of using "property system". The notion is vague, not well-known, and does not reflect what the chapter is all about: Windows Runtime and XAML, which is WinRT XAML (as you define it in the p. 44). I suggest you to endorse only one notion semantically strong and accurate: WinRT XAML instead of property system

p. 48 listing 4.2: d and mc namespaces: you don't mention it in the code but provide a commetn about it; besides they are always provided in sthe rest of the chapter. I sugegst you to add these namespaces and keep the comments.

p. 49: second paragraph: local is a common convention, please stick with it, no need to keep off the grass.

p. 53 listing 4.6: you don't touch on the result: waht's the foreground color, fontsize? How's the value precedence applies here?

p. 54 listing 4.7: what does the result look like?

p. 54 4.2.4: too much descriptive. If you have no experience with xaml, there is no way to get the point. Is it required to keep the code as is ?

p. 55 4.3: 2nd paragraph: no clear explanation of routed events and what it does when coupled with bubbling

p. 56: the code is basic and doesn't illustarte bubbling. I clearly expect bubbling in action. RoutedEventArgs is not touched on at all, which make the introduction of 4.3 pointless.

p. 57 4.3.1 understandable only if you have experience with mvvm and the binding process. It is as if you were trying to pack as much as possible in a couple of paragraphs. Break everything apart to make them digestible.

p. 60 second ยง latest word "collection": collection evokes what a developer manipulates on a daily basis. Here you speak about collection as container, not the collection of elements.

p. 61 listing 4.9: no comment in the listing

p. 62 4.4.2. + listing 4.10: you need to read the section tiwce to understand. Mention 1) you are manipulating your own custom control (it is not obvious in the text) 2) add a comment in the code listing about MyNestedUserControl. For people with experience in ASP.NET, namescope can be understood as ClientID, in which the id of a control is preprend of its container's id all the way up.