The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Jim Hammond (2) [Avatar] Offline
One chapter at the end mentions some new features of MVC 4, such as DisplayModes and bundling, but those terms are not mentioned elsewhere in the book, so does that mean the reader is only learning MVC 3 or MVC 2 until the last few pages? Would the reader have to then figure out how to refactor all of the code in the book to leverage MVC 4?
JSkinner (8) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Is the third edition really about MVC 4?
Hi Jim

The 3rd edition was initially written for MVC3 (previously it was ASP.NET MVC 3 in Action), but when the book was about to be published Microsoft began releasing previews for MVC4, so the book was modified to include sections on MVC4 as well.

All of the information throughout the earlier parts of the book are still relevant when moving from with MVC4 - there are no breaking changes in backwards compatibility when moving from MVC3 to MVC4, so there is no need to refactor any examples built on MVC3 in order to work with MVC4.

Jeremy
Jim Hammond (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Is the third edition really about MVC 4?
So the code DOES NOT take advantage of the features of MVC 4, and thus, I would have to refactor it myself if I wanted it to take advantage of the features of MVC 4. Thanks.