The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

andbin (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi all, this is my first post. I am a Java developer and as you can see from my signature I am, in general, well versed in Java (not a newbie, in other words). However I still have many many things to study about the Java "universe", especially in the "enterprise" field where currently I don't have a solid background (for example EJBs and Web services).

For this reason, I decided to study the Spring framework, which is a very important topic and also highly requested in the job market.
So I bought from Manning the ebook version of "Spring in Action, Third Edition" and I got for free the Second Edition.

I choosed to begin the study reading the Second Edition, because I would like to start more "from the ground". At this moment I have already read the first three chapters.
I have understood a good 95% of these chapters, there is something I should reread (for example the part about the "auto-wiring") but generally it's well clear to me.
I have developed several small stand-alone programs to test many of the explained topics: the bean "life", scopes, events, property editors, and so on ... and also my own version of the "Spring Idol"!

Now I have to make an important choice: how to continue the reading. The fourth chapter is about AOP but I am really new to these concepts. The Part 2 is about the "Enterprise Spring" and I am not very well versed in this field (in the past I had a minimal experience with Struts and Hibernate).
I would like to jump to the Part 3 which covers the "Client-side Spring", that is MVC and so on. This topic is more close to my knowledges, since I know well the "web components" of Java EE.

To summarize: I would jump to chapters 13...16, then go back to chapter 4 and then to the Part 2. Do you think it's a good learning path?

Thanks in advance. Regards,

Andrea
SCJP 5 (91%) – SCWCD 5 (94%)
430938 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I just study the ?Spring 4.0 in action?,i need your helps. In the fifth chapter,it explain the most simple SpringMVC example, i do it according to the example,but it takes no effect.
I uploaded the code and screenshot to the attachment.
My development environment is: windows7,eclipse,jdk1.8,tomcat7.0.
The SpringWeb project has no problem at run time,but when i visit the home page ,like "http://localhost:11080/project name/",it does not redirect to home.jsp,why? I write the project according to the book's example.
Please help me,thank you.