frank_m (2) [Avatar] Offline
The chapter "1.4.1 Say hello to Activiti" obviously assumes that you are already familiar with the Activiti toolset and the supporting tools (like Eclipse).

Even though I am familiar with other Java IDEs (mainly Oracle's JDeveloper), I am at a loss with chapter 1.4.1, because it does not give any instructions how to build the "hello" sample from scratch. Also terms like Maven and Groovy are used without explaining them previously.

Therefore, PLEASE rewrite this chapter such that Activiti beginners (like me) can get started. It should be a "step by step" guide explaining how to start Eclipse, create a new Eclipse project, enter code, compile and run it. These steps might be obvious for a certain percentage of your readers, but I assume many other readers would welcome such as "step by step" guide.

Regards
- Frank
psagarna (11) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Please improve chapter "1.4.1 Say hello to Activiti"
Hi,

How are you?

First you need to install all the tools:
1)Download activiti from the site and run demo.start ant script task under directory setup. With you install everything and also you have one demo as example. You can find more information in http://activiti.org/userguide/index.html#demo.setup.one.minute.version

2)Install eclipse as the link before says.

3)Download the code of the site:http://code.google.com/p/activitiinaction to import in eclipse you must run on pom.xml mvn eclipse:eclipse to create the eclipse project, if you run in the top then you can create all the eclipse projects.

I hope this explanation can you help. If not just let me know, i can help you.

Regards,

Cheers,

Pablo.
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

Did you read Appendix A? Because I tried to explain this more in detail there.

Best regards,

Tijs
frank_m (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Tijs, Hi Pablo,

the problem is not the setup of the tools; that was a relatively easy task, thanks to Activiti's user guide. Also appendix A did not help understanding chapter 1.4.1.

What I mean with "Please improve chapter '1.4.1 Say hello to Activiti'" is that it is hard to understand for users how have no pervious working knowledge with Eclipse nor Maven nor Activiti.

Try to forget for a moment everything you know about Eclipse/Maven/Activiti and then read the chapter 1.4.1 again. Would you be able to follow the instructions? I was not.

In the meantime, I worked through most of the rest of your book and managed to follow most of examples; even though I had to google a lot to find all the missing information. So chapter 1.4.1 was no real showstopper for me.

Regards
- Frank
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Frank,

The section in appendix A named "Using the bpmn-examples project" talks exactly about all this. It refers to a good introductory article about Maven and tells you how to setup the project in Eclipse. You are right that some knowledge of Eclipse and Maven is needed, but this can be found very easily by googling. I don't think I should include Maven information in this book as the Maven website explains things in a far better way and it would by very distracting for the readers already knowing Maven. Did you read the article I referred to in appendix A? Can you tell me what bits made you struggle in chapter 1?

Best regards,

Tijs