tappel (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I received the task to build a Web Application using GWT that makes use of Activiti as BPM Engine. As I have never done this before, is this the right book for me?

I have read the free online introduction chapter and set up the demo but when I wanted to import the Source Code Project into Eclipse it didn't work - apparently in the bpmn-examples subfolder is no .project file. Is this intended?
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Two Questions about the book and the Source Code
Hi,

I think the book will definitely help. I haven't included a GWT specific example, but I show how you can develop for example a JSF application on top of the Activiti Engine. You're right that the bpmn-examples folder doesn't contain a .project file. This file is generated using Maven. This is explained in the book.

Best regards,
tappel (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the fast reply. I don't think I need a special GWT example, any Web Application should be fine.
Guess then I really need to have my boss order me that book right away smilie

Still you should maybe clarify then on Page 12, last paragraph, how to get the Sample Code up and running in Eclipse. I understand that I need to convert it to a Maven Project but I'm not sure how to import it. Usually I hit import - existing projects into workspace - but that doesn't not work since there is no .project file.

> When you import the bpmn-examples project (that’s the project used in this chapter),
> the Activiti libraries have to be added to the Java build path. The source code of the
> book uses Maven to retrieve all the necessary dependencies. The project structure of > the example code is explained in detail in chapter 4 and appendix A. But starting
> from Eclipse Indigo (version 3.7.x) there’s good built-in Maven support so it’s really
> easy to get it working. Just activate the Maven project capabilities by choosing for the > Configure – Convert to Maven Project option in the project menu when you right-click
> on the bpmn-examples project in Eclipse. Eclipse will download all the necessary
> dependencies and configure the classpath for you.
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

That would be a good choice smilie
In appendix A I describe how to setup the sample code in detail. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

Best regards,

Tijs