GDW62 (94) [Avatar] Offline
The second sentence of this section states:

"If you are on a Unix/Mac machine, and have installed the Unix curl
command line tool, the script even documents several curl commands you can use
to test the web service side of this application."

Why is there a reference to this only being relevant to Unix/Mac machines? I'm on a Windows box and the script documents the curl commands and curl is readily available for Windows OSs. This is just misleading and does not serve the reader.

Please consider revising.

Thanks
Re: 1.3.5 curl reference?
Just saw the errata thread & I will post there. I'm still wondering why the reference to Unix/Mac was made.
ken.rimple (246) [Avatar] Offline
> I'm still wondering why the reference to Unix/Mac was made.

Well, after 500+ pages and five or six releases of Roo, I still wonder why anything makes it to a manuscript. This is not easy work, and until you called it out in the forum I forgot I wrote that specific comment.

A lame-o answer: we were working on Unix/Mac machines, and to my knowledge, curl is not a standard tool shipped with windows (correct me if I'm wrong there).

I'm assuming you're using a downloaded build of a gnu version or one on cygwin, but we are writing this book for people who are beginners in Roo and we don't assume anything in terms of other tools. so we spelled out what OS curl runs on. The examples from the Roo script itself contain commented out curl commands.

We could potentially put a note out stating that windows users must install the curl command, as it is not native to their operating system.
Hi Ken,

I can see that I might have come across as calling you out but it was not my intent to do that. I appreciate how difficult and time-consuming it is to produce quality technical books and from the small portion I've read it looks as if you guys have done an outstanding job on this book.

I just wanted to suggest that it would be helpful to all readers (not just those on certain platforms) to tweak the verbiage to accurately reflect how this might apply to them. The change that I'm suggesting is very minor and could be as simple as changing this sentence:

"If you are on a Unix/Mac machine, and have installed the Unix curl
command line tool, the script even documents several curl commands you can use
to test the web service side of this application."

to this:

"If you have installed the curl command line tool, the script even documents several curl commands you can use to test the web service side of this application."

Thanks for your consideration
ken.rimple (246) [Avatar] Offline
Sorry, I'm a bit sensitive to being called out... It's not you, it's sleep deprivation.

> "If you have installed the curl command line tool,
> the script even documents several curl commands you
> can use to test the web service side of this
> application."

Exactly, we can change the language to that. That'll work. We're working with the copy editors and tech reviewers from the Roo team now so I can make that change while we're editing chapter 3.
>
> Thanks for your consideration
Any time!