dwoodbury (10) [Avatar] Offline
I like the approach the book takes with Activiti, Bonita, and jBPM comparison. Recently, I've come across Intalio and ProcessMaker as other open-source BPMS solutions. I wonder, are these in your radar and if so your thoughts.
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Open-Source BPMS Comparison
Hi,

Intalio doesn't have a BPMN engine but a BPEL engine. So that's one reason for leaving it out of the comparison. As I believe BPMN is really the way forward to implement business processes, Intalio would be out of my list. ProcessMaker takes a more workflow oriented approach and also doesn't adhere to the BPMN 2.0 specification. To my findings ProcessMaker is a proprietary approach to building workflow processes.

Best regards,

Tijs
dwoodbury (10) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the quick reply. I've spent time with many legacy BPMS' this past year, and it does seem that the pure BPMN approach is cleaner than the BPMN-XPDL-BPEL approach.

I've read some criticism of pure BPMN in that there is no clear standard for human tasks like WS-HumanTask and therefore interchange between BPMN2.0 engines will be constrained. On the other hand, for the BPMS' that I reviewed, there were so many vendor customizations that I found it hard to see how migration could be accomplished with any tool without significant effort.
alexs (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Tijs,

ProcessMaker is certainly not proprietary. It's an open source BPMS, and the full BPMN 2.0 compatibility is in ProcessMaker 3.0 roadmap:
http://wiki.processmaker.com/index.php/ProcessMaker_RoadMap

Best regards,

Alex Saavedra

Message was edited by:
alexs
tijs.rademakers (494) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Alex,

Proprietary doesn't conflict with open source. I also saw that ProcessMaker had BPMN 2.0 compatibility on its roadmap. But the current state of the designer is really not BPMN 2.0 compliant. I can see that some parts of BPMN 2.0 are implemented, but there's just too much missing. For example, I couldn't find a way to export the process diagram as BPMN 2.0 compliant XML including BPMN DI information.

Best regards,

Tijs
melissap (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi

I've been looking for a comparison between opensource BPM solutions - so also like the approach the book takes with the comparison. However it is now 2014 - you book and the comments above were from 2012.

Would you still have the same opinions for these comparisons as there've been a number of releases for each.. including Activiti obviously as well as the new comer Camunda.

What are you thoughts on the various open source options available I have seen
jBPM, Activiti, Bonita, Intalio, ProcessMaker, Camunda.. there might be more?

Thanks in Advance
melissap (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi

I've been looking for a comparison between opensource BPM solutions - so also like the approach the book takes with the comparison. However it is now 2014 - you book and the comments above were from 2012.

Would you still have the same opinions for these comparisons as there've been a number of releases for each.. including Activiti obviously as well as the new comer Camunda.

What are you thoughts on the various open source options available I have seen
jBPM, Activiti, Bonita, Intalio, ProcessMaker, Camunda.. there might be more?

Thanks in Advance