Maslovian (31) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Mark how would one go about with a related ambient context needed when an instance of X is requested?

Depending on the configuration I may or may not need to wrap the dependency's lifetime with an ambient context. I've tried searching around based on Transaction Scope or Unit of Work patterns applied to a DI container, but either I'm missing it, or I'm misinterpreting implementations as not properly separating out concerns.

Perhaps the question asked should not have been specific to Ninject on S.O. since I don't know how to do it in any container or even if it belongs in lifetime management or a different binding or whatnot.

S.O. question at

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8917098/how-do-i-bind-impersonation-or-a-ambient-context-at-the-requestscope-in-ninject
mark.seemann (383) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Ambient Optional Context
Why are you using an Ambient Context?

While I find that question rather hard to read, it looks to me like you could implement impersonation with a Decorator.
Well in this case it would be deciding between impersonation, trusted connection, and a username/password combo for EF to connect with. Ambient context would be the impersonation using clause that would be created (and disposed after the EF context). Does that make sense?
No, I don't understand what you mean... AFACT, you could write a Decorator that contains the impersonation code...
ok so I have object foo which when requested, I want the DI framework to create an instance of bar that will be disposed after foo is.

without DI it would be like this.
using (var bar= new DisposableAmbient())
using(var foo= new RequestedType())
{
}

so I've moved foo to InRequestScope as I want, but no idea how to (or where to) do the bar creation (and lifetime binding) in a DI container directly to the lifetime of the requested foo.
Let RequestedType implement IFoo.

Use IFoo from your consumer by injecting it.

Write a new ImpersonatingFoo that implements and decorates IFoo. For each method call, create a new impersonation context and delegate the call to the decorated IFoo, making sure to dispose/revert the impersonation context before existing the method.

When you get tired of writing ImpersonatingXyz classes, you can use dynamic interception instead.

This is classic cross-cutting concern stuff. An Ambient Context is not the correct solution to this.