The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

magnus.smith@gmail.com (1) [Avatar] Offline
This book is taking way too long. Technology moves quickly and two years to writ a technology book is a joke. This book started at scala 2.7 and the language at 2.9. The book will be way out of date before it is published. I think most people that have bought this meap will be very dissapointed with the amount of time it is taking. Come on Manning you should be better than this. It is pretty indefensible to take this long so get a move on.
bhanafee (14) [Avatar] Offline
Re: This book is taking forever
Is it shipping today or tomorrow? That's what it says here: http://www.manning.com/raychaudhuri/, January 2013.
Brian Topping (22) [Avatar] Offline
> This book is taking way too long. Technology moves
> quickly and two years to writ a technology book is a
> joke. This book started at scala 2.7 and the
> language at 2.9.

Most of the examples I've seen are at 2.8 and it's finally in a more readable formatting. If I didn't know any better, the book being updated for the different versions over time has been very helpful. I'm happy to have a book for 2.8 instead of 2.7.

I'd take issue with zero examples of doing projects with Maven or OSGi, but it's not enough to hold the book up over.
The current version is 2.10, and has quite a number of nice changes over 2.9.
Brian Topping (22) [Avatar] Offline
> The current version is 2.10, and has quite a number
> of nice changes over 2.9.

Then this is arguably a problem with the language and not a book trying to track a moving target.

If so, then it's no wonder that the book is taking forever and when it does come out, it's not going to be current for long.
I never expect a tech book to be current for long after it comes out. The MEAP started in March 2010, 2.8 was released in July 2010, and 2.9 was released in May 2011.

When I bought the MEAP in January 2012, all but two chapters were labeled "available" and the Manning site said the book would be released in May 2012. The table of contents also mentioned an appendix on updating from 2.7 to 2.8. I thought expecting a few updates to at least mention 2.9 was not unreasonable. It's now February 2013. I don't really expect it to cover 2.10, but in that context it's hard to get excited about upgrading examples from 2.7 to 2.8.
OK, a couple days ago the book home page http://www.manning.com/raychaudhuri/ was updated to say the print edition will be published in February 2013. That made some since, since January was over and there's no book yet. Now today it's back to saying it'll be ready in January 2013.

Is there anybody from Manning reading this who could give some hint about what is going on?
bsmith8317 (5) [Avatar] Offline
I will say that, even though scala's mantra of breaking API's through revisions can be annoying when there's a new release every X months, 2.8 is pretty old (a year and a half ago was the first GA'd release), and a year and a half of book writing without updating some of the information to newer API's is really dissapointing.

The book has helped me somewhat learn the language features though, but yeah, this book sure did take a long time it a category of books that become old pretty quickly ...

The same is a problem I'm worried about with the play for scala book -- development is taking a little while, and major parts of the book won't be rewritted for the frequently changed play API. Json support is one of the biggest changes that comes to mind.
One more week left in March. Ready to ship?
Success! The book finally arrived today, and the front cover says it has been updated to cover Scala 2.10. The book "roadmap" section says there were updates for Scala 2.10 in chapters 9 (Actors) and 12 (Akka).