The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
Hey everyone,

We're playing around with converting the source code examples to Python. There's a couple of reasons, but one of the main ones is portability. With the new setup, the source code examples can be installed on both Windows and OS X in under 15 minutes (which we've tested). A big reason for this is that they no longer use Apache; the files are served using a small Python server.

We think this is important because we noticed in the feedback that some folks have had trouble getting them working on Windows. This will mean revising the examples in the book to reflect the new source code, however.

Any thoughts?

- Ben

Message was edited by:
benvinegar
Outcan (1) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Updating source code examples to use Python
Could you please offer both, some people may be more comfortable in a particular platform.
Well, ultimately, we're talking about the small server-side code examples that probably take up 5% of the example source code. I feel that, in either language, they're incredibly simple (usually < 5 lines), and should be understood by any novice programmer.

Unfortunately, maintaining the source code examples is a lot of work, so I don't think we'd be (officially) be supporting multiple platforms.
infos@wais-fr.com (29) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Ben, I agree with you. You cannot and you should not be smart with everyone.
Despite being a Microsoft-minded developer, I have no problem to understand all server code for this book.

I think Python is a challenging choice :
http://w3techs.com/technologies/details/pl-python/all/all

Maybe a good opportunity for people like me (pure ASP.NET developer) to look at maybe-better-than-Microsoft server side technology.

By the way, which server technology are you using at Disqus ?
We use Python at Disqus – so, yes, there's certainly some bias here.