Brett Sanders (8) [Avatar] Offline
Chapter 3, Section 3.2.4, page 76
At top of page, says to change line in feature to the following:

"And I should see "TextMate 2 - Projects - Ticketee"

But, this is exactly the same as the instructions to write this line the first time, on page 73 (listing 3.1.9)

Not a big deal, just wanted to point it out
davedub (12) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapter 3, Section 3.2.4, page 76 - And I should see "TextMate 2 - Projects
I had a tough time getting anything useful out of section 3.2.4 because it relies on paths.rb which is no longer in the Cucumber gem. Also, Listing 3.22 is ridiculous. Even if it's modified later, no one would think to hard code the name of a single entry in the projects table into the template file for the projects #show action, even if it's designed to pass a step. That, plus the very cursory explanation of how dynamic methods work, plus the very unclear follow along on p 76 (code snippets go where ...?) makes this whole topic very confusing.
Brett Sanders (8) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for the reply. What is now used instead of the steps file? I am new to cucumber testing and was a bit confused on this. To follow along in the book, I used an earlier version of Cucumber to get the steps file. I'm curious why they got rid of steps and what the current practice is for defining the steps.

For anyone who is unable to get the steps working to follow along, here's what I did which works fine

group :test do
gem 'cucumber-rails', '1.0.6'
end
ejalbos (2) [Avatar] Offline
For why they got rid of steps, see: http://aslakhellesoy.com/post/11055981222/the-training-wheels-came-off

As to the errata in the book, I agree that it shouldn't be hard coded to the single entry. Instead, something like
@title = "#{@project.name} - Projects - Ticketee"
ryanbigg (423) [Avatar] Offline
Yup, that's right. You can use 1.0.6... for now. But for "homework", I would encourage investigating *why* the change was made and adapting the application in the book to "abide" by these latest changes smilie