infos@wais-fr.com (29) [Avatar] Offline
This paragraph comes too late.

This paragraph is about how to inject a low/high level functionality in a Web page.

I suggest you refactor the all chapter like this :

1.1 Defining Third-party JavaScript
Third-party JavaScript is a pattern of JavaScript programming that enables a Publisher to seamlessly enhance its Web Application by injecting low/high level functionalities (developped either by himself or third-parties) on the client side. Developpers using this pattern creates applications or functionalities that are easily pluggable in any Web Page of any Web Publisher. As a side effect this kind of application can be widely distributed and be the source of big profits.

1.2 What is the benefit of using Third-party Javascript
There are many ways to inject a new functionality in a Web page like : calling a Web service using Jquery, creating your own javascript UI, using server-side framework like Java or ASP.NET, using Iframes, but each of these solution has its own caveats. (then describes caveats).
Third-Party JavaScript is the most flexible solution to enhance an existing Web Application in an effective and timely fashion ( then gives all the great examples you have : your balsamiq mockup example, disqus example, google map example, facebook example, twiter example, Crazy egg example, why not google analytics ?)

1.3 Create your first Third-Party JavaScript ( instead of Developing a bare-bones widget).

1.4 Challenges of third-party development
Great section!

best regards
Henri d'Orgeval
benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
Re: About Chapter 1 (What about iframes?)
Hi Henri,

I see where you're coming from. It's tricky, because iframes are really only a practical alternative for widgets. They can't really be used for any of the other uses of third-party scripting (analytics, API wrappers and so on). So I feel it's only really relevant once we're having a description about widgets (the weather widget, in this case).