The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

k2laz (1) [Avatar] Offline
In the intro you call them "shields", I have always heard "daughter cards" for the description of those. I guess it must regional. --laz
martin.evans (25) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Intro - Specialist boards
Hi Laz

On the main Arduino website they call them shields, maybe a European artist thing smilie.

cappy2112 (9) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Intro - Specialist boards
The term "shield" is used on many websites where Arduinos & accessories
are sold. A shield is simply some sort of board to interface between the arduino and the outside world, while "protecting" your arduino from being soldered to.

It's often easier to connect wires & sensors to shields because they often have connectors/screws just for that purpose.

Daughterboard is correct also, it just doesn't emphasize "protecting your arduino", like shield does.

I wouldn't say that "shield" is regional, because it is almost universally used everywhere arduino accessories are sold.