HolyMoly (14) [Avatar] Offline
There's some difficult code (for me) that's not explained in the book

a) What is the purpose of self.default = true in the code below

b) is the 'default' in that line the same default that comes from the dynamic finder?

c) what exactly is being saved when you write "self.save!"

def default!
current_default_state = State.find_by_default(true)

self.default = true
self.save!
if current_default_state current_default_state.default = false current_default_state.save!

end
end
RubyHo (9) [Avatar] Offline
Re: What is the purpose of self.default = true
I find this is one of the things I don't like about the book. It over-explains a lot of easy code but then it doesn't explain the trickier parts.
ryanbigg (423) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

The code there is setting the default attribute on the record to be true, making the current state the now default state. If there is already a state that *was* previously the default, it makes that state's "default" attribute false, meaning there will only be one default state.
ryanbigg (423) [Avatar] Offline
RubyHo,

If you could point out those areas that you think we need improvement around I'd be more than happy to fix them up.

Thanks!
RubyHo (9) [Avatar] Offline
O.K, Ryan, I will do that.

I think it's a really good book too, but there is room for improvement (I believe). Since beginners are part of your target audience, I think you need to cover all the bases for their level but sometimes you rush over things. Maybe things that are clear to you aren't always clear to others.

But still I am very impressed and hope you will continue writing.