dalrympm (20) [Avatar] Offline
I don't know if this is the right place to put them but since it appears we're getting close to publication and I've run into a few copy issues, I thought I'd add a thread for those updates instead of creating a new thread for each one.

Chapter 3, 2nd paragraph, 2nd line.

"We're more concerned to cover a wide variety of business problems using core Spring technologies, and less concerned with covering every available technical option."

I stumbled on the "more concerned to cover" part, it feels like it reads better as:

"We're more concerned with covering a wide variety of business problems using core Spring technologies, and less concerned with covering every available technical option."
willie.wheeler (110) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Copy Edits
Hi Mike,

This is a great place for the copy issues, and they are welcome indeed. Thanks for sending them.

Willie
Listing 3.5 missing varStatus
The listing makes use of the ${status.index} variable but the status variable is not defined in the forEach tag.

<c:forEach var="member" items="${memberList}">

should read:

<c:forEach var="member" items="${memberList}" varStatus="status">
Page 117 missing addition of injected service
The text describing the controller updates for persistence skip the injection of the AccountService in the controller.

"To update the controller, we add a single line to the postRegistrationForm() method,
and we add a helper method to convert the form bean into a domain object:"

I looked back and didn't see AccountService injection covered in the previous Controller source listings. Of course if readers have gotten this far, they will probably figure it out themselves.
Pg 125
"Missing from table 5.1 is the flows start-state."

should probably be

"Missing from table 5.1 is the flow's start-state."
Table 5.2 RequestScope definition.
Last sentence of definition:

"The data will be available for the duration of the request which may involve may states and transitions."

Should read:

"The data will be available for the duration of the request which may involve many states and transitions."
Pg 133: Right before section 5.3 header
Erroneous 'a':

"Now that we have a provided a brief overview of all of the major components of Spring Web Flow, lets see how we can assemble them into a brief demo application that demonstrates the main features of Spring Web Flow."
Page 134: 'or' should be 'our'
"To keep our focus on Web Flow itself, we will try to minimize any extra coding by stubbing out or service code."

should read:

"To keep our focus on Web Flow itself, we will try to minimize any extra coding by stubbing out our service code."
Pg 135: DispatcherPortlet reference
"Spring Web Flow leverages several components from Spring MVC. The first of which is the DispatcherPortlet."

I believe this should be DispatcherServlet

"Spring Web Flow leverages several components from Spring MVC. The first of which is the DispatcherServlet."
Pg 147: Word reversal

"Keep in mind as you test out the flow that because this sub-flow is not getting called from a parent flow yet, when you transition to an end-state, the just flow ends and all the state for the flow gets destroyed."

"Keep in mind as you test out the flow that because this sub-flow is not getting called from a parent flow yet, when you transition to an end-state, the flow just ends and all the state for the flow gets destroyed."

Pg 149: Missing posession

"They will be available in the in the chapters source."

should be:

"They will be available in the in the chapter's source."

Pg 153: Table 5.3 a vs. an

in bindAndValidate definition

"If a validation error occurs, a “error” event is returned."

in bind definition

"In that case, an “error” event is returned."

in validate definition

"If a validation error occurs, a "error" event is returned."

I'm pretty sure these should all be an "error"
joshua.white (14) [Avatar] Offline
Mike,

Lots of good catches here. Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Joshua
Pg 192

"So we're going to continue show how to adapt the account service without changing it."

Probably was going to be:

"So we're going to continue to show how to adapt the account service without changing it."

I like the sound of:

"So we're going to continue to adapt the account service without changing it."

Pg 196 first paragraph

"The authentication provider at the top is something that Spring Security providers, and the account service at the bottom is what we did in recipe 4.4."

Should be:

"The authentication provider at the top is something that Spring Security provides, and the account service at the bottom is what we did in recipe 4.4."

Pg 198 Confusing sentence

"Spring Security makes it easy to add password hashing to our app, but to show how, we need to treat both the initial password creation (as embodied, e.g., in a user registration process) and subsequent authentications."

Pg 208 Confusing Sentence (under Solution)

"There various approaches to securing Java methods involve defining rules that specify who has access to which methods."