The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
#1
[Originally posted by robert]

Yesterday I was about to write a text processing script in Perl and then
thought "this would be a good opportunity to give Python a chance" I picked
up your book and a few hours later had working code. I really like the
ordering of the chapters and your explanations of the significance of language
features.

But, what I really like is your quick reference appendix. This is a great
quick ref: descriptive but not to wordy, and it's better than anything I found
on python.org. The problem is I don't want to carry the book everywhere and I
don't want to rip out the appendix. Is there any chance that you'd publish
this separately or make it available some other way?

thanx!
Robert
import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
#2
Re: How about that quick ref
[Originally posted by daryl harms]

Hi Robert,

> Yesterday I was about to write a text processing script in Perl and then
> thought "this would be a good opportunity to give Python a chance" I picked
> up your book and a few hours later had working code. I really like the
> ordering of the chapters and your explanations of the significance of language
> features.
>
I'm glad to hear this worked out well and thank you for the comments!

> But, what I really like is your quick reference appendix. This is a great
> quick ref: descriptive but not to wordy, and it's better than anything I found
> on python.org. The problem is I don't want to carry the book everywhere and I
> don't want to rip out the appendix. Is there any chance that you'd publish
> this separately or make it available some other way?
>
Actually, this idea did come up and I would like to have had the reference
printed in a separate small booklet (that could have been placed in a plastic
envelope on the inside back cover). However, this didn't end up happening.

I will check with our editor to see if it would be okay to make a soft copy of
it available (either downloadable from this site or sent in response to email
requests).

There is no current plan to publish it separately. An issue is the fact that
it may not be what people expect as we went out a bit on a limb with it as it
isn't formal and isn't exhaustive.

We tried to cover things at a level that would either quickly jog the readers
memories of a known feature or in some cases allow them to learn how to use a
feature that is new to them.

Decisions were made about what to cover and the detail at which to cover them
based on what we found was most useful (at least to us) to have "cached" in
one place versus what we were willing to have to "page" out on occasion to the
online documentation for.

It is very much the summary/reference that we wanted for ourselves. So, it is
nice to get the feedback that it works well for you also.

Daryl
import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
#3
Re: How about that quick ref
[Originally posted by srala]

I have been using the Quick Ref http://starship.python.net/quick-ref1_52.html
from the Starship site. Any comments on it ?
> Hi Robert,
>
> > Yesterday I was about to write a text processing script in Perl and then
> > thought "this would be a good opportunity to give Python a chance" I picked
> > up your book and a few hours later had working code. I really like the
> > ordering of the chapters and your explanations of the significance of
language
> > features.
> >
> I'm glad to hear this worked out well and thank you for the comments!
>
> > But, what I really like is your quick reference appendix. This is a great
> > quick ref: descriptive but not to wordy, and it's better than anything I
found
> > on python.org. The problem is I don't want to carry the book everywhere
and I
> > don't want to rip out the appendix. Is there any chance that you'd publish
> > this separately or make it available some other way?
> >
> Actually, this idea did come up and I would like to have had the reference
> printed in a separate small booklet (that could have been placed in a plastic
> envelope on the inside back cover). However, this didn't end up happening.
>
> I will check with our editor to see if it would be okay to make a soft copy of
> it available (either downloadable from this site or sent in response to email
> requests).
>
> There is no current plan to publish it separately. An issue is the fact that
> it may not be what people expect as we went out a bit on a limb with it as it
> isn't formal and isn't exhaustive.
>
> We tried to cover things at a level that would either quickly jog the readers
> memories of a known feature or in some cases allow them to learn how to use a
> feature that is new to them.
>
> Decisions were made about what to cover and the detail at which to cover them
> based on what we found was most useful (at least to us) to have "cached" in
> one place versus what we were willing to have to "page" out on occasion to the
> online documentation for.
>
> It is very much the summary/reference that we wanted for ourselves. So, it is
> nice to get the feedback that it works well for you also.
>
> Daryl
import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
#4
Re: How about that quick ref
[Originally posted by daryl harms]

> I have been using the Quick Ref http://starship.python.net/quick-ref1_52.html
> from the Starship site. Any comments on it ?

Yes, I'm glad you brought this up as I should have mentioned it as it seems to
be kept somewhat hidden (or at least is not well publicized). I wish I had
found it when I was first learning Python. It is definitely something I would
recommend as worth printing out and having a copy of.

In its earlier versions I had some issues with its organization (i.e. having
to look in a number of places to find what operations applied to a list). But
this has been improved -- and now I figure I should be able to take some
lessons from it in putting together the reference for the next version of the
book.

Daryl
import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
#5
Re: How about that quick ref
[Originally posted by robert]


> I will check with our editor to see if it would be okay to make a soft copy of
> it available (either downloadable from this site or sent in response to email
> requests).

Any news on this?