The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
[Originally posted by dillera]

Hello- great book!

I have a few questions about the whole "Web Job Board" section in the Zope
chapter.

I realize that Zope has progressed a bit since this was written, but it looks
useful as an actual example of some simple code.

I'm trying to put the Web Job Board into my zope server (2.1.6).

from your examples, it looks like you are running the python scrips as if they
were cgi, and NOT a Zope Application. But the text implies that this is a Zope
Application that is useable under Zope.

What am I missing here?

I'm trying to create a Product using your scripts. I've got all the source in
a /lib/python/Products/Job/Extensions folder in my Zope Home.

Also:

why are you creating a object store? Why not just use Zope's? Or is this again
a difference in Zope versions?

I'm some more questions, but I'd like to know what you think about using the
examples in the book in Zope 2.1.6, and what might need to be changed.

-andy
import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Web Job Board- 26.3.5 (pg 339) ZOPE!!
[Originally posted by daryl harms]

Hi Andy,

Following is the response to your message from Amos Latteier (who co-wrote
this chapter).

Hope this helps,
Daryl

From: Amos Latteier <Amos@digicool.com> | Block address
Subject: RE: question on the Zope chapter of the Quick Python Book
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:31:09 -0500
Add Addresses

> I realize that Zope has progressed a bit since this
> was written, but it looks
> useful as an actual example of some simple code.
>
> I'm trying to put the Web Job Board into my zope
> server (2.1.6).
>
> from your examples, it looks like you are running the
> python scrips as if they
> were cgi, and NOT a Zope Application. But the text
> implies that this is a Zope
> Application that is useable under Zope.
>
> What am I missing here?

The book didn't really discuss the situation. You can use Zope to
publish arbitrary Python modules. Here's how:

http://www.zope.org/Members/Amos/ZPublisher

The book does not discuss creating Zope Products or other extensions to
the Zope framework.

> why are you creating a object store? Why not just use
> Zope's? Or is this again
> a difference in Zope versions?

Again, because the example shows publishing your own module, not
extending the Zope framework.

> I'm some more questions, but I'd like to know what you
> think about using the
> examples in the book in Zope 2.1.6, and what might
> need to be changed.

If you follow the URL above you should be able to use the book examples
as is.

-Amos
import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Web Job Board- 26.3.5 (pg 339) ZOPE!!
[Originally posted by gloonie]

I also wanted to try out the Job Board example. It would be helpful if the
examples file had the installation instructions included...

Anyway, I found the book very interesting and instructive.

Glenn