The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

roterl (4) [Avatar] Offline
From the last email about the book's update:
- - -
Two chapters have been removed from the book. These were Chapter 13, "Building large-scale web applications," and Chapter 14, "Building domain specific languages (DSLs) in Scala". We felt the planned content in these chapters overlapped with the content of other books offered by Manning, including Lift in Action by Timothy Perrett and DSLs in Action by Debasish Ghosh. This also expedites the completion of this book
- - -
I sad to read that, as those chapters makes this book completed.
I hardly believe that two chapters can replace two books, especially the DSL one. If anything, it will be an appetizer for a complete books about the subjects.
DSL is one of the features of the Scala language, and any book that intend to be Scala's "Rosetta Stone" should include it.
Building large scale application is like a summery of the book that could represent how to use Scala on real life applications. To actually see Scala In Action.

I hope you will reconsider include those chapter again.

Thank you,
Rotem.
nraychaudhuri (19) [Avatar] Offline
Re: removal of the last 2 chapters
It was quite a hard decision for me too but looking at the schedule it was quite necessary. But I am planning to complement that with blogs posts. Stay tuned