hrdyr00 (5) [Avatar] Offline
I really like this book and have been reading it through all the MEAP versions. I just wanted to pass along that the fonts used in the final version of the book (the ebook version) make it very hard to read on the screen. The fonts used in the MEAP versions were very easy to read on the screen.
chorse (16) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Fonts in final version of ebook make it harder to read
Sorry, I am not seeing degradation in the fonts in the final version. It l looks pretty good to me and I no longer have to worry about all the editing comments i.e. "replace with cueballs..." after every code example.

You may want to try adjusting the fonts and dpi settings from the adobe preference panel. The Final version looks pretty good on all of my computers.
hrdyr00 (5) [Avatar] Offline
In the MEAP versions, much of the text was formatted in the Verdana font. In the final version, this has changed to the NewBaskerville font. I find NewBaskerville harder to read on the screen because the thickness of the strokes that make up a single glyph vary greatly (most curved sections are thin and the straight sections are thick). I've noticed this effect when I open the pdf in Acrobat. When I read the same pdf in Adobe Digital Editions, the effect isn't as distracting. I suspect that Digital Editions is altering the font. I am not seeing any font degradation either. I just don't like the production font choice for the ebook version. It's just friendly feedback that might make future ebooks better.
chorse (16) [Avatar] Offline
Fair enough. I have the full acrobat X and a full HD high resolution screens - so maybe I do not see the degradation problem either. I see your point with the fonts. I am sure the feedback is appreciated.
mark.seemann (383) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for your feedback. I've notified Manning about it.
larryq (38) [Avatar] Offline
I've looked at both the production and final MEAP editions side by side, in the same chapters and (when equivalent) paragraphs, and think I prefer the production copy. I'm using Adobe Acrobat reader for both. The production font is a bit "bolder" and therefore more readable to me. This is nothing more than a FWIW comment.

In other news, many congratulations to Mark for getting the book published-- quite a journey I'm sure. I'm enjoying the book and encouraging everyone I know to get it.

-Larry
mark.seemann (383) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks - I appreciate it smilie