The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

This topic is READ ONLY
Silvercat (6) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, I thought that I downloaded the Hello World Book package, but I didn't have Pythoncard or the Resource Editor on my computer. I downloaded them separately, but they are not working right. The Resource Editor comes up as a tiny gray window that says "Resource Editor" on the top but has nothing on it. Then I get an error on IDLE (2.5) saying:

no resource file for /Users/grace/Documents/PythonCard-0-1.8.2/tools/oneEditor/propertyEditor
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "//Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-mac-unicode/wx/_core.py", line 14083, in <lambda>
lambda event: event.callable(*event.args, **event.kw) )
File "/Users/grace/Documents/PythonCard-0-1.8.2/tools/oneEditor/resourceEditor.py", line 138, in on_initialize
self.propertyEditorWindow = model.childWindow(self, PropertyEditor)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PythonCard/model.py", line 213, in childWindow
rsrc = resource.ResourceFile(filename).getResource()
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PythonCard/resource.py", line 45, in __init__
self.dictionary = util.readAndEvalFile(rsrcFileName)
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/PythonCard/util.py", line 39, in readAndEvalFile
f = open(filename)
TypeError: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found

I'm not sure what I did wrong? I have a Mac computer by the way. Please help!

I started using a different computer (Windows) for now instead which isn't very convenient for me, but nevermind I guess. I would still very much appreciate some sort of help, but yeah.
Message was edited by:
Silvercat
Bennjamin (27) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Pythoncard & Resource Editor
The same thing happened to me!!!! I have no idea what's going on! Hmmm... i have Snow Leopard... what about you? PythonCard might not be compatible with Snow Leopard.
Silvercat (6) [Avatar] Offline
I have Version 10.5.8, Leopard, so I think that it's just Apple computers in general.
Samarthwiz (6) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

I made an video on how to install pythoncard on Mac OS 10.6(snow leopard)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04uJ0XIE7C8

also I would like to point out that the resource editor doesn't work properly on a Mac os X 10.6 or 10.5 (maybe it works on 10.5).

P.S.I sent an email to pythoncard asking if it was dead a few months ago no reply and no one has worked on it for 5 years(the last update was in 2006) so I think its dead.
Bennjamin (27) [Avatar] Offline
dead?
?
smilie