ecaroth (1) [Avatar] Offline
Love the book so far, found some errors though!
All occur in isCssReady function on page 37

"testElem.class" should be "testElem.className"
"node.currentStyle" should be "testElem.currentStyle" (in 2 places)

Additionally, other than just syntax errors, using color as the css property to check does not work because when using getPropertyValue in standards-compliant browsers the rgb value of the color is returned. Something that I use which works cross browser, and you don't have to worry about accidentally cascading down from parent elements is font-family.

EG:
.css-ready{ font-family: css_is_ready}

then value === 'css_is_ready' in the JS
benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Multiple syntax and functional errors found, please note
Hey Evan,

Thanks for pointing this out - looks like a huge oversight on my part. Will fix asap.

As an aside, I'm also moving this section (loading CSS files) to another chapter (on rendering), as I feel it's more appropriate content there.

- Ben
jugglinmike (4) [Avatar] Offline
The "value" variable should be declared at the beginning of the anonymous function to prevent leaking into the global namespace.

Also, would it be preferable to used a named self-executing function so that you aren't reliant on the deprecated arguments.callee?
benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
Yep, you're right on both counts.

As an aside, we're pushing a quick update to the PDF this week which will address the broken examples you guys pointed out, but otherwise doesn't make any changes (the text is the same).