The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

John Larsen (68) [Avatar] Offline
I had trouble setting up the virtual hosts in apache, following your instructions.

First, the server didn't automatically have permission to access the web pages, resulting in a 403 error. I had to use chmod to sort it.

Secondly, the VirtualHost configurations didn't work - they both ended up pointing to the same folder. After a bit of digging I tried

NameVirtualHost *:80

<VirtualHost *:80>
</VirtualHost>

It now works, but not being an Apache user it was a bit of a headache.
benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Setting up hosts in Apache
Hey room51,

I apologize for the headaches. Clearly, I'm not an Apache pro either. I pulled rules from my current hacked-up config and made the critical error of not trying on a fresh Apache install.

We will get these fixed in the book asap.

- Ben
ira.miller (1) [Avatar] Offline
One more point on setting up local domains.

In the book you use DEV as your top level domain but in a footnote it is indicated that this may conflict in the future. RFC2606 (circa 1999) specifies which top level domains are reserved for this exact purpose.
benvinegar (68) [Avatar] Offline
[deleted]

Message was edited by:
benvinegar