The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

pedrop (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

I am reading this book and find myself wishing there were examples to follow, or perhaps a "build as you go" type program to help really understand the concepts. I see they have made downloading the source code available, however I'm not sure what really that entails...I'm thinking it's the entire book/project all at once, not something I can follow along with.

Does anybody know of such a thing? Is there another place/book I can purchase that has something like this? Or perhaps is there some documentation as to what the example code is for?

Thanks so much,
Pedro
Re: Examples to follow
Perhaps a better way to state this question... "where to start"? I think the book does a really good job of explaining the concepts of Spring, but not enough (for me) ways to really apply it.

I will start to set up my own spring project I guess, relying heavily on my IDE. Some more hands on examples would be nice, if any body has any place I can go for something a little more hands on, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!
Pedro
bbaron (61) [Avatar] Offline
I agree completely. Staring at a pre-built example app isn't helpful until you understand the basics. Then the examples become more useful to discover how something more advanced is implemented.

The spring website documentation once had a step by step tutorial to build a simple web app with one database table along with all the layers from dao, service to the jsp pages. It doesn't exist anymore, and even if you resurrected it from the internet wayback machine, it is covering a very old (1.x) version of Spring.

I would suggest building your own simple web app, starting with the CRUD operations of a single database table, for example, a twitter clone called spitter smilie. Then use this book and other references to answer questions as they pop up during the implementation.
tinker123 (3) [Avatar] Offline
I feel the same way, a build-as-you-go example is sorely missing ( especially since it is an " ___ In Action" title. Such a project/example would go a long way to cementing down what the author presents.
tinker123 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Maybe Manning could make a build as you go example/tutorial available online for owners of the book?
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I will have to buy another Spring book to learn Spring and use this book as a reference to fill in questions once I've learned it. I was especially disappointed with the "Hitting the Database" chapter... it was more of a "believe me, you can do all these things with Spring" and no real "meat" to it.

If I find any more useful tutorial type resources I will post the here. Thanks for your responses.

Cheers,
Pedro
LostInAction (37) [Avatar] Offline
yeah, i def agree and i think this is a major concern with this book... I mean the examples in the book are ok and I am able to follow them, but I wish there was a working project for us, so we can play around with it...
nickaiva (4) [Avatar] Offline
I agree entirely!

One could find examples in tutorial form here:

http://www.roseindia.net/spring/spring3/spring-3-hello-world.shtml

NA
http://nickaiva.blogspot.com