The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

newbie000 (10) [Avatar] Offline
I'm trying to run the first example from the book using MAVEN but I'm getting the following error. Can you please tell me why this error is occurring:

C:mavenapache-maven-2.2.1-binapache-maven-2.2.1in>mvn -e compile exec:java -Dexec.mainClass=camelinaction.FileCopierWithCamel
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO] Searching repository for plugin with prefix: 'exec'.
[INFO] org.apache.maven.plugins: checking for updates from central
[WARNING] repository metadata for: 'org.apache.maven.plugins' could not be retrieved from repository: central due to an error: Error transferring file: repo1.maven.org
[INFO] Repository 'central' will be blacklisted
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] BUILD ERROR
[INFO] The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-exec-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found
[INFO] Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-exec-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1569)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1851)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListByAggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:462)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:175)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:32smilie
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:13smilie
at org.apache.maven.cli.MavenCli.main(MavenCli.java:362)
at org.apache.maven.cli.compat.CompatibleMain.main(CompatibleMain.java:60)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launchEnhanced(Launcher.java:315)
at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:255)
at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.mainWithExitCode(Launcher.java:430)
at org.codehaus.classworlds.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:375)
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.version.PluginVersionNotFoundException: The plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-exec-plugin' does not exist or no valid version could be found
at org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePluginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:229)
at org.apache.maven.plugin.version.DefaultPluginVersionManager.resolvePluginVersion(DefaultPluginVersionManager.java:91)
at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:179)
at org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.loadPluginDescriptor(DefaultPluginManager.java:1642)
at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:1540)
... 15 more
[INFO] Total time: 2 seconds
[INFO] Finished at: Tue Aug 09 17:21:39 EDT 2011
[INFO] Final Memory: 1M/15M
C:mavenapache-maven-2.2.1-binapache-maven-2.2.1in>
davsclaus (413) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Running first example
Do your computer have internet connection? And if so you are not behind some proxy/firewall?

I just ran the command using the latest source code for the book

davsclaussmiliesvn)camelinaction[trunk:326]/chapter1/file-copy$ mvn -e compile exec:java -Dexec.mainClass=camelinaction.FileCopierWithCamel
[INFO] Error stacktraces are turned on.
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
[INFO]
[INFO] Building Camel in Action :: Chapter 1 :: File Copy Example 1.0.0
Downloading: http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/camel/camel-core/2.8.0/camel-core-2.8.0.jar

I am using maven 3.0.x

^Cdavsclaussmiliesvn)camelinaction[trunk:326]/chapter1/file-copy$ mvn -version
Apache Maven 3.0.3 (r1075438; 2011-02-28 18:31:09+0100)
Maven home: /opt/apache-maven-3.0.3
Java version: 1.6.0_26, vendor: Apple Inc.
Java home: /System/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0.jdk/Contents/Home
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: MacRoman
OS name: "mac os x", version: "10.7", arch: "x86_64", family: "mac"
newbie000 (10) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you. You are right I am behind proxy/firewall but I am able to run the example from home.
davsclaus (413) [Avatar] Offline
Hi

You can read about configuring proxy at the Maven website such as from:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-proxies.html