The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

sim085 (3) [Avatar] Offline
I am looking forward to buy this book because I want to learn about OSGi. However I found out that Manning has actually three books about OSGi, these are;

OSGi in Action
OSGi in Depth (MEAP)
Enterprise OSGi in Action (MEAP)

I was therefore wondering, what is the main difference between these three titles? I am asking to know which book might be more ideal for my needs.
timothy.ward (8) [Avatar] Offline
Re: What is the difference between OSGi in Action, OSGi in Depth and this book?
Hi,

I can understand why you might be concerned about which book is right for you, and I'm sure that in many ways all three books would be useful to you.

Naturally there will be a degree of overlap between the books. Particularly with respect to the OSGi classloading model and modularity in general. I will give my description of OSGi in Action and Enterprise OSGi in Action, as these are the books I have read enough of to feel comfortable commenting on.

Broadly speaking, OSGi in Action is a more general book about "core" OSGi. It gives very good coverage of the OSGi core and compendium specifications, the various OSGi component models, and other parts of the OSGi framework.

Enterprise OSGi in Action focuses in much more detail on the OSGi Enterprise specifications. Enterprise OSGi in Action only provides details from the core specification that are relevant to enterprise application development, but includes more information on tools for building and testing Enterprise Applications. Enterprise OSGi in Action also focuses much more heavily on container technologies designed to reduce application complexity.

My feeling is that people who normally write Java SE applications will be more familiar with the approaches in OSGi in Action, while those who write Java EE applications will be more familiar with the approaches in Enterprise OSGi in Action. Most people are likely to get significant value from both books.
tedyoung (12) [Avatar] Offline
What about "OSGi in Depth"? Anyone know if that book is still moving forward?

I'd like to see Peaberry (Guice in OSGi) covered somewhere.

;ted
timothy.ward (8) [Avatar] Offline
I'm afraid I don't have any information about OSGi in Depth, nor have I seen any chapters from it.

I'm afraid that there isn't enough room in Enterprise OSGi in Action to discuss Guice in OSGi, (see also the Scala modules thread).

We do however have great coverage of the actual development process for Enterprise Applications on OSGi. Currently available chapters cover modular web applications, persistence layers, transactions, application packaging, good practices and some more advanced service registry techniques.

In the near future you will see some chapters on IDEs, build tools, test tools, remoting and SCA.

We believe these topics best address Enterprise development on the OSGi platform. As polyglot OSGi grows in popularity, however, I'm sure we will start to see more books addressing these topics.