The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

sithlord (49) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

Greetings and congratulations on pursuing a new book on OSGi.
I would like to get more details on what this book is going to explore in terms of OSGi servers and technologies. In particular I am interested whether the Spring Framework will be discussed at all. At the same time I would like to know if the book will explore Apache Felix or Eclipse Virgo.

I look forward to your answer.

Cheers,
/.Will

Update: I have noticed that Apache Aries is mentioned in the summary of this book. I guess the above still applies at least in the context of Spring Framework.

Message was edited by:
sithlord
timothy.ward (8) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Book details
Hi,

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in our book. We cover a range of topics in relation to Enterprise OSGi, including parts of the Apache Felix project and Eclipse Virgo.

We don't directly discuss the Spring Framework in detail. The reason for this is that the Spring Framework's OSGi support was used by SpringSource and the OSGi Alliance to build the OSGi Blueprint Container. The Blueprint container, rather than the Spring framework, forms a core part of our book. Given that blueprint is a standard, and there are implementations from SpringSource, Eclipse and Apache, we feel this gives a slightly more neutral view of what's available whilst still covering the same functionality.

I hope this answers your questions,

Regards,

Tim