The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

AndroidMike (3) [Avatar] Offline
As noted in the errata "I just started the 3th chapter example (RestaurantFinder) that uses the "Google Base Data API" that is deprecated from June 1st 2011 (As you probably know: http://googlemerchantblog.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-shopping-apis-and-deprecation-of.html). So, as You can imagine, I cannot try the example.."

This also affects Chapter 4, as that Chapter reuses the example. I'm working on creating code that works but would be better if the book supplied working examples.

Thanks.
rtwillemsen (5) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Chapters 3&4 examples not runnable
hi androidmike,
any luck on creating working code for the RestaurantFinder-sample?
rob
frank.ableson (75) [Avatar] Offline
We are working on a replacement for these recently deprecated online APIs.
hi frank,
any idea as to when the replacements would be available?
i am a computer science lecturer starting an android-course tomorrow for yhe uocoming 10 weeks, and using your book as the learning book ...
regards, rob
I have to check with Chris who refreshed those chapters for the second edition... you should be able to use this url for the web service:

http://navitend.com/androidinaction/reviews.php

The game plan was to replace the google service with a simple feed that would allow the samples to continue operating with minimal changes to code and chapter text.

Please let me know how you make out.

Frank
frank, thnx for the quick reply.
i am going to give it a try this evening (dutch time smilie) of tomorrow.
i think i'm going to have to miss the dynamic part in addressing the url: all the restaurants will be fomr atlanta, won't they?
rob
frank,
the new url seems to work, but not until i had put the line "<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />" as the first line after the manifest-element in the manifest-file ... before that i got a java.net.UnknownHostException before all the time ... ???
this seems to happen more often: see http://androidforums.com/developer-101/100793-java-net-unknownhostexception.html

ps: the question about the URL returning a static list of restaurants/reviews still remains smilie

rob
Hi Rob,

Glad you got it to work and yes it is a very small sampling of reviews available.

I too have noticed trouble with the emulator's connectivity, though the uses-permission is absolutely required to use the internet/network connectivity in an App.

Frank
hi frank,
is this URL the final solution to 'We are working on a replacement for these recently deprecated online APIs. ' or can we look forward to a more dynamic solution and when would that be available?
regards, rob
Rob

This is all that we are planning at present. We certainly did not anticipate that Google would retire that API. I understand that you have larger purposes for this sample with your students. If you have a student who would be capable/willing to expand the API I can provide the source to you and you can enhance it, send it back for reposting, etc. If interested please send along your email to me at fableson @ navitend dot com.

Frank
Medoxx (1) [Avatar] Offline
I am able to compile with Android 1.5 or 2.1 with the changes of new http and moving Permission after Manifest first line, but still get no data after enter "Atlanta, GA". As a result, I am unable to get to the ReviewList screen.