This topic is READ ONLY
balloon8 (2) [Avatar] Offline
I am a complete beginner in programming, and I need some help. I currently have Python 2.5. If I want to get 2.7, can I keep all the modules that are still on Python 2.5? The reason I want to switch is that some new modules only work for later versions. What could I do to retain them? Also, will my programs for Python 2.5 work for 2.7? Thanks ahead!
warren.sande (211) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Switching to a Newer Version of Python
Some modules will only work with a certain version of Python. So, if you are using Python 2.5, and you have a set of modules that works with that, upgrading to 2.7 may cause some of them to stop working.

If you want to switch to 2.7, you'll have to get the Python 2.7 version of each of the modules you are using.

Your programs written in Python 2.5 should work in Python 2.7, since the changes are pretty minor.

Hope this helps.

- Warren Sande
balloon8 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks, Mr. Sande. This helps a lot. Would I have to go to the root of the location of my Python 2.5 to find out what modules I have? Are there any other places I should look for my modules?
warren.sande (211) [Avatar] Offline
Python modules are usually stored in
C:/Python25/lib/site-packages/
(in Windows)
Samarthwiz (6) [Avatar] Offline
also remember that on Mac OS X python 2.7 and 2.6 will run in 64-bit mode instead of 32-bit mode,
now thats ok but with pythoncard it doesn't work.