The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Psychlist1972 (177) [Avatar] Offline
I've received mixed feedback on the MVVM chapter in Silverlight 4 in Action. Many folks loved it, but some felt it didn't go deeply enough, or that it should have used a toolkit.

I'm curious what you think, as someone who has already bought the book. When you look at the MVVM chapter, would you rather I (1) continue to show the basics of MVVM and concentrate on the pattern regardless of toolkit, expanding on what I did in Sl4iA, or (2) pick a single specific toolkit out there and show an implementation with it and IoC and whatnot instead. I won't have time/pagecount to do both.

I'll fold this feedback in with the others I have received when I look at the chapter in the next month or so.

Thanks

Pete
mbcrump (8) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Recommendations for MVVM Approach - Toolkit or No Toolkit
I think getting the basics of MVVM is really important and is a great starting point. But, using a toolkit like MVVM Light really opens your eyes to how easy MVVM can be and why you want to do it. I started off using MVVM Light and eventually looked at ways to "roll your own" but IMHO nothing compared to how easy it was to use the toolkit. I'm sure others will disagree with me, but I think a gentle intro into MVVM and finish up using a polished toolkit like MVVM Light.
Dev@hamburg (4) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Recommendations for MVVM Approach - Toolkit or No Toolkit
Hi Pete,
In my opinion there are enough brilliant articles (msdn, josh smith's blog) that show the basic procedure of mvvm. The difficulty my colleagues and I were having was the adaption for the overall architecture. Viewmodels, commands, navigation and of course using ria service. Every part on it's own, is clear but for the combination of those techniques I would appreciate if your book would lead the way by providing best practices with a well known framework. The use of mvvm light or prism would be great.

Kind regards

Marius