The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

mikemil (27) [Avatar] Offline
I know you guys are busy and I have almost worn out Gina 1, but is the website correct that the printed version will not be available until Summer 2012?

In the past I haven't enrolled in the MEAPs but if that date is correct, I may have to re-evaluate my stance on that...
wcherry (11) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Summer 2012 - really?
I bought three MEAP books before I bought ReGINA. It will be my last MEAP purchase. It's too bad that Manning doesn't just offer everybody a refund, It's cost them at least three sales and my professional recommendation.
fjanon (62) [Avatar] Offline
Same here. Not that I think that the authors don't work hard at it, I think the quality of the resulting book will be very good, it's just that I don't look at the MEAPs anymore, I am just waiting for the final version.

I think writing a book is too hard these days for the money authors get back.

It can be worse, I ordered "Secrets of the JavaScript Ninja" in March 2008! I am not even sure that one will ever come out.
fdaoud00 (15) [Avatar] Offline
I don't know what's going on at Manning these days but it ain't pretty.

I have obtained refunds for all the MEAPs I had and will not be purchasing MEAPs anymore. Books are in MEAP for YEARS!! (this one, Spring in Practice, JavaScript Ninja to name a few) and that is just ridiculous.

Enough with this "we're working on it" and "we hope to have the final book ready by X" and "here is one chapter update".

Either the final book is available or pretend it doesn't exist.
wim.deblauwe (17) [Avatar] Offline
It is the first time I bought an MEAP, so I hope my experience will be more positive.
samd (24) [Avatar] Offline
I was under the impression this book was covering 1.8 but now I see it's 1.7 and the MEAP version is very sparse indeed.

This will be my last MEAP, I expected how long this book has been going that it would have been flushed out far more than what I'm seeing.

Truly disappointed.
Mittie (397) [Avatar] Offline
The cover says we're covering 1.7 where it meanwhile really is 1.8 - especially for AST transformations that are only available since 1.8.
We try our very best to keep up with the speed of Groovy and the final version of the book may actually cover a version higher than 1.8.

best regards
Dierk
pkeavney (1) [Avatar] Offline
As new releases occur... are you updating the MEAPs where applicable?
Mittie (397) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Pete,

> As new releases occur... are you updating the MEAPs
> where applicable?

in principle, yes, but I wouldn't promise that all chapters get the full update, especially new API features may be missing.

If in the MEAP you find anything that isn't working with the latest Groovy version, please tell us. I started tracking the issues under http://gina.myjetbrains.com , where you can post your own issues (and feature requests) and see their progress.

Thanks a lot for posting
Dierk
davicar (3) [Avatar] Offline
Okay its Summer 2012. When is the book coming now?
cfeckhardt (2) [Avatar] Offline
Ouch. This is SAD... I've asked that question too, here in 2014? Hmmm. Should I consider this a ripoff now? Er, uh... Yes... No excuse for not answering, although there could be an excuse for a delay -- no replies is DEFINITELY inexcusable. I will have to look elsewhere for my pubs with this unprofessionalism.

Someone needs to light a fire under the author's tail to get them to
produce or get out of the so-called business they claim to be in.

smilie

Carl