The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

mejohnsn (22) [Avatar] Offline
One of the things I like about this book is that the source code does make a good base for the reader's own applications. This certainly applies to WindWaves, a great example of location-enhanced applications.

Now suppose I want to enhance the application by providing a compass pointing North. I assume the right way to do this is to simply add one more, almost trivial, Overlay. Specifically, an Overlay deriving from com.google.android.maps.MyLocationOverlay. But then what is the right way to make sure that tap events still go to the ItemizedOverlay and not to this one. For this enhancement, affter all, I have no use for MyLocationOverlay handling any input events. Is it just a matter of keeping all the event listeners of WindWaves, and leaving default listeners for this one additional Overlay?

The impression I get from reading the online Google documentation for Android is that the above is the right way to do it: but I just do not trust the docs so fully, so additional confirmation is very welcome!