This topic is READ ONLY
BobCarder (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,

My son and I are attempting chapter 16 on our Macs running 10.6.7 Snow Leopard. We had a problem on my son's Mac so I tried it on mine using the Mac installer supplied via your site.

On both machines the same problem happens with the code in listing 16.1:
import pygame
pygame.init()
screen = pygame.display.set_mode([640, 480])

When we run this code the black window pops up but it doesn't go away - it stays there and whenever you move the cursor over it the busy mac beachball appears. The only way to get rid of it is to exit IDLE.

Both machines had Python installed via you Mac installer. When we did chapter 10 (the skiing game) we were using a Windows machine which we no longer have. All other chapters since have chapter 10 (when we switched to Macs) have worked fine.

I understand you now have a Mac - if you could please test this out and advise how to resolve it we would be very appreciative. We love your book and don't want to get stuck here.

Thanks,
Bob.
carter.sande (32) [Avatar] Offline
Re: PYGAME on MAC Snow Leopard 10.6.7
This is happening because of Pygame's incompatibility with IDLE. (You can find out more about the incompatibility on page 176)

You can fix this by using SPE, where this problem doesn't occur.

Carter
BobCarder (2) [Avatar] Offline
Brilliant. Thanks Carter. Sorry I missed it.
NikBhatt (3) [Avatar] Offline
It's still not working for us.

I've tried SPE. Same beachball problem as with IDLE. I've tried to type the commands directly into Terminal, same result.

I noticed that pygame outputs this when the set_mode function is called:

2012-03-02 19:49:38.352 Python[351:903] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.

Perhaps we have an old version? How do we tell what version we have and if there is a newer one?

Thanks!
We have Python 2.5 and I just installed pygame 1.9.1 but I still get a beachball with SPE and IDLE...

Ideas are welcome!

Thanks.

--Nik
Solved it. If we just enter the code in Listing 16-1, then the app hangs (in IDLE or SPE). However, if we create a file with those statements and run it in the shell, it works fine.
If we put in the event handling code, then it works in IDLE and SPE.