The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

CarlosM (1) [Avatar] Offline
The book is not well explained, only in the chapter one, you cannot run the application, you only wrote 3 files, even if you download the .zip file, the files do not match with the book, and I need to do some extra job. If you are going to teach something, be sure to provide the necesary things to do, I have to guess what do you want to do, and I bought this book to learn, not to be guessing.

This is really a fraud, I spend a lot of time trying to solve the problems that this book have. And I have wasted my money and my time learning nothiing about spring.

I will really like to have my money back.
emilio_77 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Waste my money
Hello,

I think you were a little bit unfair on the book... smilie

I was quite new to Spring and this book helped me to understand a lot of concepts about the framework.

I followed the book and managed to run my own working code (no STS - only Eclipse). My code is build on the basis of the code provided by the Author IN THE TEXT.

The book is very clear and extremely useful.

Then I can say that if you want to "boost" your command of Spring, you have to read the official documentation as well.

This is only my PERSONAL opinion. I don't really want to argue with you. smilie

Hey, I'm not from Manning. I'm only another reader!

Regards!

Emilio
ceej23 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Totally concur with Emilio; SIA is well written and makes Spring easy to understand. Not sure which book OP was reading.
bbaron (61) [Avatar] Offline
The problem with this book isn't the quality of the writing, which is very good, in my opinion. It's the timing and relevance.

The 2.0 version of SiA came out just when Spring 2.5 was in release. The 3.0 version will probably be published as Spring 3.1 is released.

The Spring portfolio has grown too large for a single volume to cover. I would like to see Manning split this into a thin "Learning Spring" for developers new to Spring, to cover the core framework's basic concepts. Then create a "Spring in Depth" that can provide advanced coverage without having to devote real estate to introductory material.

I'm certain when this book is finally published, it's not going to be of much use to me, because none of the sections go beyond the level of expertise that I'm already familiar with, after five years of Spring usage.
edeleon (3) [Avatar] Offline
Emilio -
I am glad to hear that you have been able to run your own code based on the book. I have just started to read it. Would you be willing to share your code? That would be very much appreciated. Thanks.