The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

TheDet (49) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Josh,

The title of Chapter 11 is a bit coarse grained.
Have you already an idea what topics you will cover in it?
Will you talk about delimited continuations?

Thx
Det
joshua.suereth (60) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Ch. 11 Functional Programming
Hi Det,

The Deilmited Continuations section will most likely be in an Appendix.

I'm writing the FP chapter currently. It starts off with a 'Config' class which turns out to be the Reader Monad. We then go into discussions of Monads, combinators, type classes and the general notion of type algebra/calculus. This chapter might need to be split into 2 depending on length. I plan to cover Iteratee I/O for it's excellent example of how to thread control Monads and compose functionality with flatMap/for-expressions and also the similarities between a 'fold' method and pattern matching.

If you have any other ideas, I'm more than willing to entertain. Delimited continuations (specifically the CPS plugin) is a bit much to also fit into this chapter.

- Josh
TheDet (49) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Ch. 11 Functional Programming
Thanks Josh, so I'm looking forward to Ch. 11 smilie and the appendix too.